Sunday, September 4, 2011

A Singles Ward-imony. {Really.}

Today is my last Sunday attending a singles ward. I've got to admit, its sort of overwhelming because I've been attending singles wards for ten years now. TEN. I've been around the block long enough to retell the Good, Bad, and the Ugly of a singles ward. And I could easily fill the next ten minutes with amusing anecdotes and the stereotypical stories about ridiculous things and drama and the "bad and ugly" part of things. But I'd rather not. Because despite the struggles and challenges that often accompany attendance in one of these wards, I have to say there is a LOT of positive in the Singles Ward experience. And I am going to miss it, believe it or not. (Not the Drama and Ridiculous, but I'll miss the Good and Awesome.)

Its thanks to a Singles Ward that I gained a lot of social confidence in myself--enough to really get outside myself, meet people, and make new friends.

Its thanks to a Singles Ward that I had the opportunity for great service opportunities. Many of those opportunities taught me firsthand important truths about the worth of souls, the value of service, and the Lord's individualized plan for each of us.

Its thanks to a Singles Ward that I made the important step of going to the Temple to receive my own Endowment. And it was partially the strong encouragement and support of a Singles Ward that took me back to the temple regularly.

Its thanks to a Singles Ward that I made some amazing friends who supported me thought good and bad and everything in between. As a girl said today during her testimony, I believe in eternal friendships and many of mine started in a Singles Ward.

Its thanks to a Singles Ward, and the inspired leadership therein, that I found the help and guidance and direction I needed when life was throwing lemon after lemon in my direction.

Its thanks to the friendly people in a Single Ward that I found a new "home" almost immediately after nearly six years in my previous ward. I hope to one day find another ward as outgoing and welcoming as the Heritage Ward proved to be.

Its thanks to a Singles Ward that I'm "graduating" today, and moving on to the big, scary-ish, world of the Family Ward. I met Skyler in our Singles Ward, and for that alone I'll forever be a fan of the YSA program. But its not just my fast-approaching "nuptials" that lead me to speak highly of the YSA wards. Its the great blessing they can be in a young adult's life in so many ways besides the dating/marriage thing. Really.

So I am grateful. A bit overwhelmed and full of trepidation at this new step I'll be taking in the world of family wards, but I'm grateful for my experience in the Singles Ward world. I have every confidence that the establishment of the YSA Wards was inspired. And I know, for myself, that I have been very, very blessed by the events, people, experiences and more over my Singles Ward years.


Yes, I am well aware this post is oozing cheese and other such things. But sometimes I AM a wee bit cheesy and nostalgic. So...Deal. :)

3 comments:

Brooke said...

I loved many things about my singles wards too, but for me it was the teaching. I ALWAYS had phenomenal teachers in Sunday School and Relief Society. And that's where i first met my husband, he was teaching Sunday School.

Emily Richards said...

Do you ever have those moments where you're crying at someone's blog that probably wasn't meant to make you cry? Thanks, Tara.

Unknown said...

As a fellow graduate of the single's ward scene, I like this. As you know, I met my hubs in one as well... so they really do work for some people. :)

 
Header PS Brush by pinkonhead.com