Monday, November 1, 2010

Happy Anniversary!

On November 1, 1995 I was tasked with playing flag football in my 1st period, 7th grade gym class. I was game, but my left knee wasn't. Before the end of the class period, I found myself on the floor with a dislocated kneecap, forced to listen to the inane babble of friends/teachers who were trying to keep me calm until the paramedics arrived. Yes, the paramedics. And though I understand now why they kept asking me stupid questions about what book I was currently reading or how my Halloween had gone the night before, I still maintain the questions are stupid when your standpoint is from the gymnasium floor and you're looking at your left leg that now appears to have TWO knees to it. Just sayin'...

Its been fifteen years since that "fateful" morning and its crazy to consider how much my life since then has been affected by a kneecap getting a little "out of joint."

Fearing a repeat (...which did happen multiple times. AUGH!), I began avoiding many physical activities. The obvious result there is that I got fat. As I got fat and out of shape, I didn't find much to like about myself and, ironically, I also upped the chances of another knee injury. And as I stagnated in a dislike for myself, other areas of my life were affected--especially socially. I sometimes joke that I went to BYU for four years--the land of happy engagements and crazy dating--and dated nobody. Its not really a joke, because that is how it went down for me. But I can see now why it went down that way. When you don't like yourself, you're not really sending out the positive, healthy vibes a possible marriage partner might respond to. Heck, I wouldn't want to date the person I was in college!

Sorry if this is starting to get really depressing. I promise there is a silver lining and here it comes!

You see...I figured some things out. And I started running and losing weight and getting healthy--physically, emotionally, and spiritually. Today, on my 15th Knee Anniversary, I'm happy with who I am. I'm aware of the limitations the genetic lottery has handed me in my crazy-jointed knees, but I don't obsess over it and I will actually jump into a game of volleyball or Ultimate Frisbee now and again. I still feel safer running in a straight line down the road, but at least I'm active! And happy. And its that journey to happiness that I now celebrate every November 1st.

Happy Knee Anniversary, all!

Here's to many more happy years to come.

6 comments:

*Aliese* said...

Aw, I love this! I wish I could be this positive about my knee surgeries...Maybe one day...

Becky Knowles said...

This makes me really happy for you. I love you friend.

Greg D said...

You are lookin' smokin' these days! Yay kneeversary!

Anna said...

I remember that day in gym class!! Crazy.

And i agree--you are looking awesome and really seem to have it together in all areas of your life. Keep it up.

Arianne said...

I remember when you dislocated your knee--didn't you have Mrs. LeFevre? Who, at her best seemed inane...whenever I'm in pain I need to remember to be grateful that at least Mrs. Lefevre isn't asking me questions--that just adds insult to injury.
Also, I liked you in college. And, I like you now. So, I'm happy for you!

Charisse Baxter said...

You are cool, smart, funny, inspirational, a hottie, AND you'll admit in public that you know me. If you were a Facebook page, I'd "like" it all too!

 
Header PS Brush by pinkonhead.com