Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Wanted: One foot massage

I love New York. I can't say it enough. This is such a fantastic city with so much to see and do and be scared of at the same time! I love it. I've been in Manhattan for a couple days now and its already been an adventure. So...reporting in.

Yesterday I flew into JFK--one of the most annoying airports of all time. I did survive the flight, the 30 minute wait on the airplane, the People Mover (What?! Since when do you have to get on a weird trolley to get off the airplane?!), and my luggage arrived intact. Whew! I was incredibley proud of myself, as well, for making my way from JFK in Queens, to 7th Avenue in Manhattan...all by myself. That required transfers even! Sheesh!

Mariah and I met up at the 7th Avenue subway station, and she was kind enough to help me drag my luggage back to her apartment in Harlem. Yes, THAT Harlem. The neighborhood is a bit scary, not gonna lie, but "gentrification" has improved things a bit I hear. Hallelujiah! And her apartment itself is wonderful! There's an elevator (woohoo!) for when you need it, but the 6 floor walk up is also a great workout. Can't complain about living conditions at all.

Last night we visited Burritoville (seriously great name...seriously great burritos), wandered through parts of Central Park and saw blinking fireflies, and stopped at Dylan's Candy Store. We tried Birch Beer at the store and it is TASTY TASTY!

Today I ventured out myself. Sights visited included Ellis Island, Union Square, Grand Central Station, and Central Park--where I somehow got "lost" and ended up going in a big circle. The real highlights of the day: my first hot dog of the trip, scoring a ticket to Xanadu the Musical for tomorrow's matinee, delightful Japanese food, and talking with a drag queen. I love New York!

So now...my feet hurt--probably all that walking. So I'm off to soak them in the tub. I've still got 4 days to go!

*I should note that I would like to post some pictures of the trip thus far, but my camera's card and I have a long, sordid history that doesn't encourage me to pull it out anytime soon. And I forgot the cords to connect to the computer. So you'll have to wait until the end of next week for THAT excitement!

1 comments:

Meredith said...

Did you just love Dylan's Candy Store?! I visited that place 2 or 3 times when I was there. LOVE Central Park, Ellis Island and Grand Central Station! Fun times!

 
Header PS Brush by pinkonhead.com