Sunday, July 20, 2008

That Greg...

I got free ice cream today. Woohoo! And it wasn’t any cheap-o ice cream either. This was quality Haagen-Dazs ice cream. Tasty McTasty! The "Free Ice Cream Hander Outer Lady" also had otter pops, but who takes an otter pop over Quality?! The Quality ice cream was the perfect remedy on such a hot summer day. Have you noticed that ice cream tastes so much better when you’re sharing it with someone? Its so nice when something like a mutual admiration for ice cream can bring two people together.

I got free ice cream today because I was wandering through Gardner Historic Village after taking a jaunt on the Jordan River Parkway. I’ve always loved the Parkway. Its paved, its next to water, and its usually really quiet. It could do with a few more tall trees to shade the path, but there’s not too much else to complain about. I’ve always enjoyed walking the Parkway with someone else. Have you noticed that taking walks is so much better when you’re sharing it with someone? Its so nice when something like a mutual admiration for walking (or a mutual need for something to do…) can bring two people together.

Please don’t think I spent the entire day eating, but I also tried a new Mexican place for dinner. Well, its not actually new, but its new to me—La Luna out at Jordan Landing. All that walking in the hot sun had just drained me and by the time “Dinner Time” rolled around, I was famished. The food, in my opinion, was relatively mediocre—nothing to write home about, but okay when you’re looking for Mexican food near home. I ordered two burritos; I ate one and boxed up the other to take home…and then left it at the restaurant! So silly of me! But a funny end to dinner, that’s for sure. Have you noticed that eating dinner is so much better when you’re sharing it with someone? Its so nice when something like a mutual admiration for Mexican food can bring two people together.

Remember My Big Fat Greek Wedding? The movie, I mean, not my wedding—which wasn’t Big, Fat, or Greek, and to be honest hasn’t even taken place yet, so it couldn’t really be about me. ANYWAY...I love that movie! Tonight’s viewing was the first in years, and I still find it hilarious. Those bridesmaids dresses? And the wedding invitations with the Greek flag that call Ian's mom Harry? So funny. I laughed out loud a number of times. Have you noticed that laughing out loud at a movie is so much better when you’re sharing it with someone? Its so nice when something like a mutual admiration for laughing out loud, or for a movie, or both at the same time, can bring two people together.

Really, I just think its funny to consider the events that can bring two people together. I don’t mean in a romantic way, necessarily--just the circumstances that occur to bring two people together as friends, acquaintances, neighbors, lovers, etc. Sometimes the story is so serendipitous you can hardly believe its true. (And sometimes, lets be honest, its not.)

It seems what brings people together most often is a mutual admiration for something: you both like ice cream, or walking, or Mexican food, or laughing out loud, or even the same person. Sometimes these similarities could be a volatile mix resulting in tears, backstabbing and general mayhem. Or...they could simply result in some really, really good times.

At least, that's what I've noticed.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think a mutual appreciation for laughter, randomness, hijinks and all around hilarity is what brought us together...and is what keeps us together! Yay for us! We are cool.

Meredith said...

This post REALLY mad me laugh! I forgot about the invitation part in MBFGW- I love that Ian's mom is called Harry. Ha Ha!

 
Header PS Brush by pinkonhead.com