Wednesday, January 16, 2008

The White Flag of Surrender

This is an Email I sent to a couple peeps this morning. I then decided that since I wanted to blog about it anyway, I might as well cut and paste the Email and change a few things here and there. So, yes, a few of you have already read this. Sorry for my lack of creativity on 3 1/2 hours of sleep.

Let me say up front that in the light of day, life isn't quite so horrible, but while I was "hiding" in the bathroom last night it seemed like it couldn't get much worse. And hey--I'm a girl, AND I'm extra hormonal this week anyway.

So the story: I fell asleep about 10:30 last night. At 11:55 I was awakened by the strange sensation of something pulling my hair*. To be honest, I might have been pulling my own hair as I turned over--my hair was rather splayed across the pillow last night--but all the same, it sort of freaked me out. So I sat up in bed and turned on my lamp and that was when I heard it. The skittering. A skittering I know all too well. The mice are back. And they're in my room.

I don't care how small they are or how much I shouldn't freak out, I freaked out--quietly, of course. It was midnight, after all. I ran to the bathroom because a)I needed to use the facilities, and b)Its small and a floor above my rodent-infested bedroom. I'm not exaggerating when I say I was in the bathroom for 45 minutes...sort of freaking out.

My situation as I could see it: Its a freezing cold winter night; I am dead tired (except that now with adrenaline coursing through my veins I was wide awake); I only have 4 hours at this point until I have to get up; I CANNOT sleep in my room. So what to do? At this point I was also sort of over-freaked and didn't even want to go into my room. It took 45 minutes of trying to think logically (not easy at midnight anyway) to come up with a "plan."

My plan: Get my sleeping bag and pillows and sleep on the Love Sac. Bring up my gym clothes and phone to be my alarm. Attempt to sleep. Go to the gym and school. Come home and move out today. This I did. I of course couldn't just sleep in the Love Sac like a normal person--the house had too many "skittery-like" noises. So I left a light on and turned on Apollo 13. I dozed through it...It ended, I turned off the light (feeling braver now, I guess?) and turned on Dances With Wolves and dozed through it too. My alarm went off at 5:00; I got ready and left. I can only imagine what Roommate thought when she saw my sleeping bag and pillows and stuff in the living room this morning. Probably that it was just too cold in my room. Little does she know...

The rest of the plan is now in motion as well. I'm even more tired than I
was last night since I probably got 3 1/2 hours of sleep at most. (My poor
students...)
Luckily my mother is more scared of rodents than even I am so
she was completely understanding when I waltzed into her house this morning and announced I'd be moving back in within 10 hours. I love my mom.

So there's my story. The Rodent Watch level is definitely at Red--a High Alert. Its like one of those Hollywood thrillers where the government thinks they've got the attack under control and then the bad guys show up smack dab in the middle of the Pentagon.

AUGH!!!

*I don't know that there actually was a mouse in my hair, but that idea
didn't help my state of mind AT ALL. Obviously...

4 comments:

Anna said...

ahhhhhhh. so are you going to stay at home or move in with other girls in the ward?

Elisa said...

Wow.

Here's my question: Has anyone ever watched Dances With Wolves without dozing?

*Aliese* said...

You have officially inspired me to post about my rodent experience!

Anna said...

so I've made up my mind, voting for Romney on looks just makes sense. Its what psychologists would call a cognitive shortcut. Instead of processing all this complex information I just appeal to my prior belief that good looking presidents make better presidents...yes, this surely simplifies things. :)

 
Header PS Brush by pinkonhead.com