I recently joined Facebook. I fought it for a really long time, but finally gave in to the pressure and became a member of the popular website. There are still things I don't like about it--the newsfeed that tells everyone and their dog that "Tara is now interested in men," and the myriad of applications people have added to their profiles, making it almost impossible to find The Wall. All the same, now that I'm in the Facebook world, I'm discovering it to be quite the happenin' place. It's like a party! I think the majority of my Myspace friends must have retired and joined Facebook. NOTHING is happening on my Myspace profile. My sister posted something a couple weeks ago but that's about it. No new bulletins, no new blog posts. Nothing. Facebook? Its like a Rave without the easily accessible drugs and lightsticks.
Even if things were still a-buzzin' in the Myspace world, Facebook would probably still win me over for one simple reason--its not blocked at work. I don't care to hear anyone's reasons why Facebook isn't blocked ("It's not blocked because its better" will make me file you under the "ASININE INDIVIDUALS: Avoid When Possible" category in my mind), I'm just glad it's available. Its given me hours of enjoyment while at work. I know some of you are thinking, "But Tara--shouldn't you be teaching your students?" And to that I would answer, "A good teacher doesn't teach, but rather facilitates a learning environment." I would say that because A) its true, and B) I can come up with plenty of excuses and examples for facilitating from behind a desk.
So Facebook is great. It keeps me entertained while I "facilitate" and has encouraged my false sense of popularity. Who cares if I only have 3 people to Email, or a regular crowd of only 5-6 people I hang out with on weekends. I have 73 Facebook friends. That's 73 people who publicly acknowledge me as a Friend. 73 people who will allow me to see a little slice of their world. 73 people who willingly allow me to "poke" them multiple times a day. 73 people I used to think were kind of weird for acknowledging quasi-friends as Friends, letting the world in, and "poking" each other multiple times a day.
And now? I'm one of them.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

3 comments:
Wow, Tara, this is some beautiful prose.
::Poke::
Check your wall.
Facebook welcomes you! And I'm pretty much jealous because Facebook is most definitely blocked on our school server. Blogger (fortunately) is not! YET...I'm sure Washington County will soon put that thorn in my side. My first year of teaching MySpace totally wasn't blocked...Then it happened and Facebook was still open...By my third year, they were both off limits. Good news--Hotmail is no longer blocked so at least I can read my regular mail as well. Sorry, that was a long comment.
just wait until someone you don't know adds you as a friend. and you can see that you have common friends, but have NO BLOODY IDEA WHO THEY ARE. That makes you feel really popular because someone you don't even recognize thinks of you as...well, their "friend" I agree, false sense of popularity. This is also why I added a blog counter to tell me how many people have visited my page. Wahoo! And I must tell you that ever since I read your blog about you and your size seven jeans I keep telling myself...Tara's disciplined and goes to the gym...she looks good, you should go to the gym. You are my inspiration.
Post a Comment