Tuesday, January 29, 2008

"Nobody loves a grumbler"

That last post was sure a downer, wasn't it? The amusing part is that I didn't intend for it to be. As I wrote it, I imagined it would be more introspective than my usual posts. Then I posted it, reread it, and almost took it down. But I figure, "such is life" so we just move on.

I can't stay depressed or down for too long, it seems. And I'm glad that's part of my nature. I'm an optimist, what can I say? Life is just too funny to be sad all the time. A few weeks ago, a friend text messaged me something like, "Life is funny even when its crappy." Truer words have never been spoken...Okay, so I'm sure something more purely truthful has been spoken before, but I completely agree with the sentiment of that message. Life is just funny.

Take last night for instance. FHE at an assisted living center in West Jordan. I know its still January, but we were making Valentine's for the residents. Or, in the case of my table, we were making Valentine's alongside one of the residents--Shirlene. Now first off, Shirlene has an awesome name. We can't let that one pass without a comment. And Shirlene was great. She didn't say much and just worked on a Valentine--slowly laying out all the little hearts I was cutting out.

We had no problems until Andrew took control of the heart-cutting duties. He ripped the paper, or cut something off, I don't remember exactly. But Shirlene suddenly perked up. "You ruined it!" We were all taken a little aback, but Shirlene wasn't done!! Andrew started laughing and she continued to rip into him. "He ruined it and he doesn't even care!" At this point we were all laughing. Andrew was laughing so hard (See!? He didn't even care!) he had to leave. As he left, Shirlene called after him, "He ruined everything!" and once he was gone, "And...he's gone." Oh man. I love old people.

With moments like that every day, who can really be depressed?

4 comments:

Greg D said...

I think it's amazing that the very old and the very young are often the greatest sources of laughter. Makes you think a little eh?
"Sexy's gross!"

Meredith said...

Love that FHE story! Cracked me up!

*Aliese* said...

So I'm not sure WHY this post had me laughing with tears streaming down my cheeks, but it did! That really is rather humorous.

Unknown said...

Ah, welcome to my world. I get to spend three nights a week in Old-man's-land. Let me tell you how amusing they are at 3 in the morning...

 
Header PS Brush by pinkonhead.com