Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Early Thoughts on the Presidential Election

I've found my opinion of the Presidential candidates has a lot to do with the way they run their campaigns. And whether or not they "give me the willies." I know--so well-thought out, right? But really.

So here, in no particular order, are some of my thoughts on the Presidential Candidates for the 2008 Election.

I dislike Hilary, for a number of reasons. I wasn't a huge fan of her as a First Lady so why would I want her running the country? I really lost any desire to vote for her when I heard a speech she gave in some podunk Midwest town. Her speech was all about how it was historic that she was a woman, and women needed to realize how great this was BLAH BLAH BLAH. So...she wants me to vote for her because I'm a woman and she's a woman? For someone who claims that she doesn't want gender to play a role in the election, The Hilary sure pulls that card out an awful lot. The horrible thing is that many American women are going to vote for Hilary just for that reason. I absolutely hate that. Men didn't give us the vote for over 100 years in the first place because they assumed we'd be too stupid to vote. Voting for a woman because she's a woman is basically proving them right. Sheesh...

I don't have entirely negative feelings for Obama. He has some interesting ideas to help the country. He just needs to stay away from that race card. Like The Hilary, Obama regularly says he doesn't want the election to be about race, but still finds plenty of opportunity to campaign with well-known Black Americans and talk about his historic chance at the presidency. He needs to stick with what he said from the beginning. If you don't want the campaign to be about race, then never, ever, EVER mention your race. Don't worry--people will figure it out for themselves. We live in this crazy world with new-fangled technology like TVs and we can generally see that he's Black.

I might vote for Mitt and its not because "he's Mormon and so am I." Thanks everyone. I'm glad you assume I'm as smart as those women voting for The Hilary. I actually like the things he did as governor of Massachusetts and, though I might be the only American who feels this way, I like that he's changed his mind on certain issues. A lot of critics have, well, criticized him for doing so but don't we all do that? I get new information and change my mind every day! (Like the time I told Arianne I had no interest in "Lord of the Rings," and then saw the movie and subsequently became a fan. See? New info changes my mind. Its normal.)

I really like John Edwards but I don't think he has a real chance. I figure that should teach him to align himself in any way, shape, or form with John Kerry and his ketchup millionaire wife. Sad times...but good ketchup.

And do you really want a president--the leader of the free world--named Huckabee!? You might as well give an open invitation to all our enemies to attack. I don't know about you, but "Huckabee" makes me want to watch reruns of "The Andy Griffith Show" and head to Cabella's for some Power Bait. Yee haw...

Fred Thompson just pulled out so I don't think I need to write anything about him. I guess I could say my respect for the man has gone up; by pulling out of the election he has done a great service to the American people. Thank you, Mr. Thompson.

Rudy Guiliani has a good work ethic. He wants to get things done, but I have doubts about his level of experience. And that ugly divorce he went through doesn't endear me to him that much. As much as the candidates like to say personal lives should have nothing to do with politics, we all know this is America and personal lives have A LOT to do with politics. I'm not saying they should, I'm just saying they do. That's the reality. Live with it. And he has a lisp. (This reminds me of a fantastic quote from Robert Kirby--a journalist here in Salt Lake. In a recent column he wrote this: "Lots of stuff is more important to voters than actual qualifications. We’ve never elected to the highest office a Jew, a black, a Latino, a homosexual, a bald guy, or even just someone noticeably missing a front tooth. The last truly homely president we had was Abraham Lincoln, and we shot him." How true that is. Sad. But true.)

John McCain is one of my least favorites. As a person who strongly supports our military, I can't stand political figures parading out their military service. In days gone by it was really worth something, but even then--why? Besides Washington and Teddy Roosevelt, most of our real military presidents haven't been that great. Ulysses S. Grant was elected solely on his civil war victories and he's possibly the worst president this country has ever had. I'm sorry Mr. McCain was captured during the Vietnam War and more power to the man for making an awesome comeback into public life. But...I don't care about that when it comes to running my country. Seriously--is your survival in torturous conditions 30-40 years ago the only thing you can come up with to campaign on? No thanks.

There are other candidates but I'm done for today. Plus, I'd probably just be ridiculing them anyway for even attempting a run at the nation's highest office. At this point I'm still undecided on who to support. There are candidates I really dislike, but no one candidate sticks out yet as my total favorite. We'll just have to wait and see. It's going to be a long year...

6 comments:

*Aliese* said...

See, I like Mit too! It actually kinda bugs me that I can't bring myself to vote for him...Too bad he put his name on the pro-school voucher issue, or he probably would have won me over.

Anna said...

I'm confused...why is this post labeled "blueberry muffins"?

Anonymous said...

What kind of crazy person never changes their mind? Seriously... Ever? I personally like a candidate who can say, "Gosh, I never thought of it that way," and has the humility to right a wrong. Its like we would rather have our leaders ride their bad decisions to the grave rather than change their mind. How hypocritical we are as a nation to say that. How many people were against this war in the middle east after 9/11, and how many support it now? Lame. I would move to Canada if it didn't suck worse.

Anonymous said...

You forgot the number one reason to vote for Mitt: He's attractive. And, he's got that presidential hair!

Greg D said...

Personally, I just like the fact that you call her "The Hillary."

Elisa said...

So what you're saying is that you don't have strong feelings about the upcoming election? Am I right, or did I miss the subtext? C'mon, Tara. Tell us how you really feel.

 
Header PS Brush by pinkonhead.com