Monday, January 21, 2008

If you have to ask, the answer is no.

Dave Thomas supposedly once said something like, "I have two great loves: Food and People." My friends would always add in, "and I don't really like people." Funny? I think so. But I've been thinking about people this weekend. And I mean the general "people" rather than any one person or group in particular.

As a general rule, I'm not a people person. What that means, I'm not positive but it sure gets said a lot. "He's a people person!" I assume it means you're the kind of person who likes to be around lots of people and gets along with people pretty well. If that is true, I stick by what I say--I'm not a people person. People bug me. People say stupid things. People force me into awkward situations. People often make me say things I don't really feel because we living in a society where everyone's else's feelings matter more than my own. People can be boring. People waste my time. There's not much good to say about People.

I should be a people person when you really think about it. I work with large groups of people on a daily basis (though it could be argued that Middle School students aren't really "people"...perhaps I'm a "Hormone-Ridden Alien-like Beings" person?) But still, People continue to bug me. If given the choice between food and most People, I'd probably pick the food.

But then there are My People. Obviously, my close friend are My People. But there are more of them "out there." I enjoy finding My People. Sometimes they show up randomly at a party where I wasn't expecting to meet them. They're often lost in a group of People (shudder...). But then, there they are! I love My People. Anne would call them "kindred spirits" and meeting one is a little reminder of God's love. I hope you're My People. But please don't ask if you are. That would bug me and we all know where that would go!

So with apologies to Dave Thomas, "I have two great loves: food and My People."

3 comments:

Anna said...

I can second nearly everything said here...and I will not ask if I'm one of your people. I like to pretend that I am among cool people's "people" whether I am or not is often immaterial. And I also "shudder" at large groups.

RSP said...

Again, I think I am with you on this one. And just so YOU don't have to ask....you are My People;)

Anonymous said...

So, I remember almost falling down with laughter at the Wendy's as we repeated that line over and over. Then I called Ben Watson and left it on his answering machine. Sometimes that line will just pop into my head and it still makes me laugh.

 
Header PS Brush by pinkonhead.com