Friday, January 11, 2008

Shaping the young minds of tomorrow

I'm often asked if I like what I do. I usually hem and haw before saying "Yes...most of the time." Below I've provided some of the reasons I don't like it all the time.

Work-Related Things That Bug Me
Parents who don't expect their student to take responsibility. Instead they hassle the teacher/administration/counselors until they give in and give the student a grade they didn't earn.

Students who don't care about their grade until the last two weeks of the quarter.

Glitter fights.

Glitter in general.

Dumb students [sorry, there are many] who refuse to even try. Rather, they ask a million stupid questions in order to get the teacher or a friend to give them all the answers.

Parents who don't have Email addresses. This means I have to actually call them if there are problems with a student.

Calling parents.

The rule that middle school students can only watch G-rated films; PG-rated require permission slips and anything worse is completely off limits. This means students can't watch "National Treasure" without a permission slip. COME ON!

Teachers who don't realize all I want to do is go home at the end of the day--not stick around and listen to them expound the successes/failures of their department or team.

The Counseling Center...in general.

The phrase, "I don't get it."

Punk kids who think they're "All That" and don't realize they're actually not. (And might never be with an attitude like that...)

Student-Led Conferences.

Smelly students.

Students who try to befriend the teacher.

The Computer Lab.

Special Ed kids who are just milking the system.

Gum on the floor.

Kids who think they're funny, but never actually achieve humor.


What can I say? It's Friday.

5 comments:

Sean said...

I guess that you hate me because I am some of those things... ;)

Tara said...

Oh silly, Sean! None of these things apply to you--you're not one of my students :)

Erin said...

Amen! I broke down this year and used glitter (but didn't let my students near it).

*Aliese* said...

I will gladly support all of these as well! :)

Anna said...

LOL I have nothing else to say. :)

 
Header PS Brush by pinkonhead.com