Friday, April 4, 2008

The People Poem

Today my students wrote poems about Abraham Lincoln. The "People Poem" form goes like this:

Line 1: Name of the Person
Line 2: A description of the person using two words connected by "and" or "but"
Line 3: An adverb and a verb to describe a typical action
Line 4: Compare a quality of the person with something interesting using "as a" or "than"
Line 5: Close with a wish for the person or yourself, using "If only," "I wish," "I'll never," or "I always"

I got some GREAT comparisons and descriptions about our 16th president. Some of them really were good, and some were [insert sarcasm] GREAT. Here are some of my favorites--either because they're creative, or they're absolutely hilarious as a description of Abraham Lincoln:

"Thoughtful as a Test"
"Nice as a Bird"
"Happy as a sunbeam"
"Fun as a Circus"
"Virtuous as a priest"
"Less Scared than a Fly"
"Loud as a Cow"
"Wiser than an old man"
"Gripping as stitches" (What?)
"Sweet as a pineapple"
"Better than the Best"
"Taller than a frickin' Giraffe" (nice...)
"Nice as a Pillow"

What similes can you come up with?

Anyway, I decided to use this form and write a poem about myself. Why not? I've been having a weird day and this seems to fit in nicely:

Tara
Freaky and Fun
Regularly amused
Random as a Thriftshop
I wish she could just focus!

But since I can't focus, here are some of my favorite things relating to Abraham Lincoln...somehow...

Lincoln's Blog
From my Top Ten Picture Books list
Good for a rainy Saturday

1 comments:

Arianne said...

These are fantastic...loud as a cow...if I somehow become a historic icon, middle school kids better not write that about me.

 
Header PS Brush by pinkonhead.com