Friday, February 8, 2008

True Love in Conversation Hearts

I went grocery shopping last night. As I walked in the store and picked up my basket, I came to a display of Valentine’s candy. I picked up two small boxes of conversation hearts because the season seems to demand it and because I like them. (I also purchased a bag of Tostitos Hint of Lime tortillas chips and a package of Macaroni & Cheese—it was a night of unnecessary purchases I guess…)

As I unloaded my groceries “back at the ranch,” I set the candy aside. And made dinner. And glanced at the candy. And talked to my roommate. And glanced at the candy. I actually haven't eaten it yet, but rather the little "TRUE LOVE"'s and "UR COOL"'s have got me pondering Valentine’s Day again. The holiday is coming up fast, and I can’t deny that in my heart of hearts (whatever that means…but it sounds good), I want a Valentine this year.

Now, I don’t mean I want a boyfriend—though that would be nice too. I want a Valentine even if just for the day. I’d like somebody to treat me like their #1 all day long. After February 14th, it can be back to “Same old, same old.”

Picture it…

Obviously, I’d have to work (and endure the idiocy that is Valentine’s Day at middle school--giant teddy bears, balloons, roses, and candy, all in the name of teenage lust…), but I could leave work early after enjoying his flirtatious text messages all morning. I’d get dressed up and he and I could go out on the town. The evening would start with him bringing me a single crimson rose, and helping me with my coat. We’d hold hands, cuddle, laugh and generally act like we’re in love. Everyone who saw us that night would assume we were in love, and other people would wish they were us.

Or maybe we wouldn’t go out—we’d stay in…which could be even better. We’d make dinner together and then spend the evening cuddling on the couch in front of a roaring fire. We could watch a romantic movie or even something more action packed for him. Maybe the evening would end with me falling asleep on his shoulder…Cute, huh?

OR, maybe it wouldn't be romantic at all. Maybe it would be super casual, and we'd just have a blast together. We'd go to "The Pie" and eat loads more pizza than necessary, and then make brownies or pizookie and eat it straight out of the pan. Finish off the night with Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure, or the like--laughing till our sides hurt.

I guess I don’t know what the perfect Valentine’s Day would be like. I’ve never had a Valentine of my own. But I like to think it would be awesome—even if it is just for one day.

::SIGH:: Here’s hoping…

7 comments:

Anna said...

wait...roommates? I thought you moved home?

*Aliese* said...

Oh...my...word! You took the habitual middle school Valentine's Day feelings right out of my mouth! There are times that you, my friend, are the most eloquent person on the planet. Kudos.

Tara said...

I was at home for a couple weeks. Now I'm out again--living in a townhouse with a couple girls from my ward. Its fun :)

Anonymous said...

Um, Tara? Will you be my valentine?

Tara said...

Well, anonymous...I don't know. You could be a crazy person. Seems a bit shady.

Anna said...

shady can be hot, go for it Tara!

Anonymous said...

Not seeing a whole lot of options here.

 
Header PS Brush by pinkonhead.com