Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Bete Noire or Personal Vexation

I am a woman of many pet peeves. High on the list: people who waste my time and people who start their talks in church by saying, “I was asked to speak on ________.” But last night I was reminded again of my Theater Pet Peeves. (You know you have many—or even too many—pet peeves when you can categorize them…)

I’m an admitted Theatre Snob. I enjoy quality theatre and I’m willing to pay to see a well-done show. I generally avoid community theater at all costs. By "community theater,” I mean shows put on by local art councils and small neighborhood groups. The worst show I have EVER seen (thus far) was at the Draper Historic Theater, produced by the Draper Arts Council. Their rendition of Rodgers and Hammerstein's “Cinderella” was laughably bad. The fly didn’t cover the sides of the stage so every scene was lit by a faint green glow from the Emergency Exit sign backstage left. I think the director even inserted lines in the script so her grandson or neighbor boy could have something to say. BAD. We left at intermission, and I’ve never regretted that decision. Really, I suspect the mere existence of Community Theatre could be a pet peeve in and of itself.

My other Theatre Pet Peeves, (aka Amusing Annoyances From the World of Utah Community Theatre) revolve around the curtain call. First, I take issue with clapping in unison, in time with the beat as the actors take their bows. What is that all about?! We’re supposed to be applauding the performance of the actors, not encouraging a pair of square dancers. I have yet to settle on a theory to explain this particular phenomenon, but its alive and well in the greater Salt Lake area. I always engage in my own personal rebellion and clap only when someone is actually making a curtain call. Or, when I’m in really high spirits, I’ll add my own reggae-like, on the off-beat, claps to mix the sound up a bit. Try it. I guarantee you’ll like it.

But the Theatre Pet Peeve that bugs more than anything else is The Unnecessary Standing Ovation. Utahns seem to have never been taught what the Standing Ovation is supposed to mean. Giving a show a Standing Ovation suggests it’s a cut above most everything else. It’s so good, you can’t stand to stay in your seat. Mere applause are not enough to express your gratitude and enjoyment of the performance. To put it bluntly, most shows don’t deserve a Standing Ovation. But I think most Utahns believe there’s an asterisk next to that little theatre rule that reads,

*EXCEPT IN UTAH. ALL SHOWS PERFORMED IN UTAH MUST BE GIVEN A STANDING OVATION. IF THE AUDIENCE DOES NOT SPONTANEOUSLY RISE TO THEIR FEET AT THE END OF A PERFORMANCE, ALL PERFORMERS WILL DIE AN EARLY, IGNOMINIOUS DEATH. YOU DON’T WANT THAT ON YOUR CONSCIENCE, NOW DO YOU?


Really? REALLY?!

I can’t stand when mediocre shows get a standing ovation. I think unnecessary standing ovations are lessening the impact of a real Standing Ovation. For example, I saw the Broadway touring company of Little Women: The Musical in Salt Lake a few years back and it was A-MAZING. We gave them a Standing Ovation and they deserved it. But what did the actors think? Were they flattered and did they feel appreciated? Or did they think, “This is Utah. We could have used a record and hand puppets and the fools would have stood up and cheered. Uncultured swine.”

Last night the standing ovation reached a new low—a "Standing O" given because of Name Recognition, not talent. Granted, the show was quite good (The Civil War at Hale Centre Theatre), but the Unnecessary Standing Ovation this time was mainly directed at Merrill Osmond. Yes, he’s one of THE Osmond Brothers and yes he’s got his own website (but really, who doesn’t these days?), but he honestly wasn’t that good. I was disappointed. The other “General” outsang him on every note and every bar. If anyone was going to get a standing ovation (and come on…you know they will), it should have been that guy.

For the record, I didn’t stand up. I remained in my seat, placidly applauding the show as a whole. And my date didn’t make a move to join the uncultured hoards, either. Bonus points to him.

11 comments:

Jacob said...

I completely agree. I love the looks I get from the people around me when I don't give a standing ovation.

Anonymous said...

Oh, yes. It's so true. Usually I'll just stay in my seat--except for the times when I go with someone and they stand up. Then they look at me, questioning my niceness, until I cave and grudgingly get to my feet. I should be more principled...but I want people to like me.

Anonymous said...

I was also at the show last night and I am also Merrill Osmond's assistant. I never at any time got the impression you did that the ovation was for Merrill but it was as it should have been for the WHOLE cast for which Merrill was a part of. Merrill is a very humble man and would share the success of the show with the complete cast. Judge not what you know not of.

Anna said...

LOL. Its one of my pet peeves too. I laughed out loud at your post..."uncultured swine"...haha I miss you Tara! I am actually so annoyed by this that I've raised the bar of my own personal standing ovation even higher. And i can't just sit there and not stand I have to sit there and loudly complain to whomever is next to me about how I will not be bullied into a standing ovation! And it is particularly bad at Hale, though I do admit I gave Thoroughly Modern Millie a standing ovation last year because everything but the fake Chinese lady was really excellent. So anyway Saturday at the symphony you can bet I was one of the only people sitting--which makes me worried that it is not just in Utah, but everywhere that people give unnecessary standing ovations. Argh

*Aliese* said...

HAHAHAHAHAHA!!! I am going to read this post to my husband. I'm sure he'll appreciate it immensely. He's definitely a hard-core theatre critic as well.

Meredith said...

I agree with you as well sister. I think we picked up this pet peeve from a Mr. Kelly DeHaan in high school.

Tara said...

I'm sorry if you felt I was suggesting Mr. Osmond was expecting the standing ovation he got because of his family name. I'm sure he is a great person (I enjoy his narration of the 'Utah's Blackhawk War' video every year in my class). My criticism of the standing ovation was really more a
criticism of the audience--not the cast. I think all the actors at Hale Centre do a great job, and deserve praise for the hard work they put in.

I appreciate your opinions. And as this is my blog, I'm free to express my opinions as well.

Anonymous said...

what the heck? apparently Merrill Osmond's assistant has nothing better to do then to get angry at people for expressing their opinions---on THEIR OWN BLOG!! funny funny.

Charisse Baxter said...

Oh, wow. We are totally the same person. (I swear that observation will NOT be followed by anything remotely stalker- or whatever-white-female-ish!) SO TRUE - I have long observed and wondered at this phenomenon, and I've thought, "No wonder other-staters have a hard time taking Utah theatre seriously! We're waaaay too easy!" A friend linked me here, thinking I'd enjoy it, and he was totally RIGHT.

*I'm applauding, and standing, while I type.*

Anonymous said...

Apparently Merrill Osmond can't afford to buy his assistant a laptop with a grammar check feature, or pay her for enough time to both read and comprehend blogs before leaving unwarranted defensive comments. Shame on you for not disclosing the bias you might have because of family ties, shame on you for your basic tone, and shame on you for abusing the CAPS-LOCK feature on the computer at the library. Comment not on the blog of someone you know not of.

PS, do you think you could get me Donny's autograph?

Sean said...

You're pretty much famous! I'm so jealous! I agree with you in full for every standing ovation. I went to a junior high school orchestra concert to support one of my swimmers (she invited me and I couldn't tell her no). To my amazement, everybody stood up even though it was dead awful! Such is life in Utah...

 
Header PS Brush by pinkonhead.com