Tuesday, February 26, 2008

The problem with kids these days...

I’m going to be a brilliant parent. Okay, so maybe that’s a bit presumptuous, but I really think I’ll be awesome. And I can’t really take a lot of credit for it.* When I stand up to accept my trophy for the Parent of the Year Award, I’m going to be sure and thank those people “who got me where I am today.” Namely? The CrapTastic parents I’ve had to deal with as a Middle School PROFESSIONAL. (Yes, ladies and gentlemen, a Professional.)

I have dealt with some awesome parents in my 3 years as a teacher. These are the ones who expect a lot of their students, and make that goal clear from Day 1. These are the parents who check Power School regularly, and contact the teacher if there is a problem. These are the fine, upstanding individuals who had their kids reading from an early age and helped on homework and made sure their child had a safe environment at home. These are the Danny Tanners of the world. I love these people. I would invite them to my BBQ’s—if I ever had one. (I wouldn't invite Bob Saget to my BBQ, though. His Danny Tanner character was a sweet-faced father, but I think Bob Saget is pretty much a weenie...)

What I can’t stand, and what I vow to NEVER be, is one of the shady, good-for-nothing, “Forced Sterilization Looks Really Good After Meeting You,” people who shouldn’t be allowed to parent. These are the people who barely know how to be a good person in the first place. What do I hate about these people? Oh, let me count the ways…

Tonight at Parent Teacher Conferences I had a 7th grader's parent come in. I’ve had two of his kids previous to this one and I hate the whole family. The parents are completely oblivious to the ways of a good parent. They think they’re teaching their students to be responsible, but really they’re just doing nothing and using that “responsibility” thing to make themselves feel better. Really. At Back to School night in August his mom told me that in her family, “once the kids hit Middle School, they are responsible for themselves. If they don’t take care of it—its their fault.” And then, come the semester break, here comes mom and/or dad, shocked that their kids are failing. What?! And who’s fault is it? Why, the teacher’s of course!! My favorite line? “We just really need a lot more communication. We count on the teachers to really let us know what’s happening.” Oh REALLY?! (The AUDACITY!!!) Because I have a sneaking suspicion you count on everyone but yourself. And the sick thing? This is just a vicious cycle. Because this is what they’re turning their own kids in to! In 25 years, Jered’s going to be telling the next generation of teachers that he’s counting on THEM to let him know what’s going on. Sick. Honestly.

Okay, I could go on and on but I won’t. Suffice it say, I feel I’ve learned a thing or two about parenting. Its not easy. You can’t be their friend (that’s another blog post in and of itself…) and you have to recognize that they are KIDS. Children. Their brains aren’t functioning completely yet!

So check back with me in 25 years—my parenting skills will knock your socks off.

*I should also note that my own parents are Brilliant and if I was to win a Parenting award, I'd obviously mention them FIRST, and then the awful parents I've dealt with at the Middle School.

4 comments:

Jacob said...

Well luckily, like yourself, I had awesome parents. I do think some parents out there need a great wake-up smack, "Hey, you had them, you are responsible for them. If you can't take the responsibility then stop germinating." Many times I get the impression the parents believe schools are free day cares.

Anonymous said...

Look at this...the page loaded. I guess my computer doesn't hate your blog after all.

People are crazy. The end.

Unknown said...

Hi Tara! I found your blog (I love to state the obvious!), and I'm so glad! You are hilarious - I got a good laugh from some of your posts. I wish you could have been my teacher in middle school - your kids are lucky.
I completely agree with you on the parenting issue! I think forced sterilization would be a great thing for some people! Of course, I should be careful about criticizing - there are so many things that I swore I would never do as a parent, and I've found myself doing some of them.

Erin said...

Amen! Wish me luck, mine are in 2 weeks!

 
Header PS Brush by pinkonhead.com