Saturday, February 16, 2008

Magically Delicious

I had cold cereal for lunch today—Lucky Charms. Cold Cereal is one of my favorite foods and lunch was delightful. Cereal is great morning, noon, night and all the minutes and seconds in between those traditional meals. You can eat it with milk or by the handful. Mix it with butter and marshmallows and you have a delightful treat. What I’m saying in all of this? Cold cereal rocks my world.

After I played the “Which is the Real Lucky?” game on the back (#4…in case you were wondering), I started thinking about the inventor of cold cereal. With some quick Google research to back up my suspicions, W.K. Kellogg is now firmly in my personal Hall of Fame. You can link here for more info on the man but let me toss in my 2 cents, because, after all, this is my Blog.

W.K. Kellogg is the man. He invents corn flakes (a favorite of mine for many years) and then goes to town with Bran Flakes, All-Bran, and Rice Krispies. Some of you might be thinking, “Yeah, but All-Bran tastes like pencil shavings mixed with gravel” to which I’d respond, “How would you know?” But that would get us nowhere. Really, those less-than-appealing cereals helped us get where we are today.

We live in a blessed time my friends. Grocery stores have entire aisles devoted to cereal. There are so many varieties it can take literally MINUTES to decide which to purchase. Even after you decide you’re in the market for some Marshmallow Mixed with Whole Grains goodness, there’s the issue of brand, and bag vs. box, and even size of bag/box. How did we get to be so lucky?!

I honestly love all kinds of cereal*. I enjoy a helping of Fiber One or Kashi just as much as I enjoy pouring out a bowl of Cocoa Krispies or Fruit Loops. Delightful.

Personal favorites: Quaker Oat Squares, Fruity Dinobytes, and Marshmallow Mateys.

Honorable mention : Captain Crunch, Honey Nut Cheerios, and Golden Crisp.

And I just learned there's a new cafe chain devoted entirely to cereal! The closest one is at Arizona State University, and I'm thinking a road trip is in order. Because, with cereal, what's not to love?

*I should note that I have stumbled upon one cereal in my lifetime that I did NOT enjoy, and sadly its still on the market: Berry Lucky Charms. They offered a most unsatisfying breakfast experience. However, their distasteful nature drove me to write General Mills and I subsequently received a free coupon and started my Letter Writing Club. So, really, even that one bad cereal had a good effect on my life. Thank you W.K. Kellogg!!

4 comments:

Anna said...

you have a letter writing club?

RSP said...

I go back and forth on favorite cereals. Right now, Cinnamon Life, Berry Berry Kix, and Pink Princess Flakes. Yummy! Close seconds are Pops, Fruity Pebbles, Honey Bunches of Oats, and Honey Nut Cheerios. You are a girl after my own heart. I am seriously going to check out that cereality place and I will let you know how it is! Just know, you have a place to stay!

Sean said...

I love cereal too. It's too bad I can't eat it very often now.

*Aliese* said...

Interesting! However, I don't like Captain Crunch. It totally rips the roof of my mouth to SHREADS! I'm a fan of the Lucky Charms (usually our normal Tuesday meal), plain ol' yellow box Cheerios, and Cinnamon Toast Crunch. I also like the generic brands of these.

 
Header PS Brush by pinkonhead.com