Friday, February 22, 2008

My "Zestfully Clean" Crate

Why does anyone Blog?

I Blog because I’m opinionated and mildly witty, and I figure this is as good a place as any to share that part of myself with the world. I assume that my Blog is generally only read by family and friends. But life can surprise you when you assume anything.

Have you read my last Blog? You should. It’s brilliant. Okay, I’m sort of kidding about the brilliant part, but you should glance through it and then read the comments. Shocking? I should say. Who knew that Merrill Osmond’s Personal Assistant would read my Blog?! I mean…I mentioned* the man in passing, in the second to last paragraph, and look what that garnered me—A COMMENT. Really, any comment is okay. Getting a comment on a Blog is like getting one of those green mushrooms on Mario Bros. 1 UP!!! WooT!

The nature of the aforesaid comment, however, has given me leave to find my soapbox again and say…

Anyone who chooses to inhabit or visit the Blog world—as a Blogger, a Commenter, or even a Lurker—should understand the nature of the world they are living in. I’ve only been a Blogger for a few months. I began as a Lurker and then became a Commenter and graduated into the Blogger world last fall. I’m not the oldest shoe in the closet, but I know a thing or two.

A Blog, by its very nature, is someone’s personal space to share their personal thoughts and opinions. Commenters should keep this in mind and comment responsibly and not go postal because of someone’s Blog. Its called Free Speech, honey; welcome to America. But it goes both ways because Bloggers need to recognize that Commenters have the right to be offended by whatever they read. We have to respect each other’s right to speak AND to be offended. That’s the great thing about America!

Speaking of offending people, I seriously might get fired one day for speaking my mind to a room full of 7th Graders. I never say anything inappropriate, but I “tell it like it is, ” and The Man doesn’t look too kindly on such behavior.

If you’ve ever dealt with more than one 12-year old at a time, you’d be able to understand why the direction, “Okay, you need to find a partner!” can begin one of the most inane episodes of your day. If you don’t understand why, here’s a quick explanation—there are weird 7th graders who no one wants to partner up with…and I completely understand why. So these kids end up having no partner and I have to stick them with the cool/smart/normal kids who pulled the short stick that day. Or, worse, I have to put them together in a group. Sometimes I resort to “Well, you can work by yourself.”

Tuesday I wasn’t in the mood to deal with it so I gave the direction this way: “We’re going to break up into partnerships. Pick a partner who you will work well with, who will help you complete your work and not just screw around…And if you’re the type of person no one ever wants to partner with, perhaps you need to reflect on your life and change.”

February 2008. The month I get fired. But really? They need to hear it.

*And if mentioning mildly famous people, B-list stars, will somehow connect me to their world, I’ll do it on a much more regular basis. I’ve tried to maneuver a meeting with John Stamos for years, and perhaps my Blog is the way to make it happen…

10 comments:

Elisa said...

I already told you that this whole M.O. experience is like when the guy in the Bourne Supremacy says "Black Briar" on his cell phone and ends up hunted by the CIA and dead dead dead. But what about when Harry, Ron, and Hermione, after months of successful hiding, are IMMEDIATELY found by the death eaters when they make the mistake of saying Voldemort's name? Who knew we were all being tracked so closely by government agencies, dark lords, and celebrity assistants?

Jacob said...

Wow, got a little chip on your shoulder? I have enjoyed reading your blog. Thanks for being an Mildly witted/opinionated person. Happy Birthday also.

Tara said...

I hope you meant mildly witty...though some would probably agree that I'm also mildly witted. Like Teresa Heard... :)

Jacob said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
*Aliese* said...

BWAHAHAHA! Tara, your blog never ceases to make me laugh OUT LOUD. (No need for an LoL here). I kind of love that Ms. Heard thought you were being abrasive toward the humble Mr. Osmond. Believe me, if this keeps up, you and Mr. Stamos are most definitely going to meet one day! When you're famous, don't forget the little people who helped you get there. You never know, they may end up defending you on some OTHER history teacher's blog. ;)

Greg D said...

That's it, I'm writing a post about John Stamos.

Unknown said...

I would just like to say, "Damn The Man, save The Empire."

And on that note, Happy Birthday.

Anna said...

I'm kind of in love with the fact that you mentioned John Stamos in a footnote of tiny font size. I hope his assistant finds it. and your blog is a source of constant entertainment...I would have never thought to compare comments on the blog to green mushrooms in mario, but its an excellent characterization. So here is your 8th 1-up on this post alone. I think I'm going to go make anonymous comments on my own blog now...

Anonymous said...

Hey, I noticed my name on your blog. We should get together sometime...

Anonymous said...

I know what you are thinking, but rest assured, it really is me.

 
Header PS Brush by pinkonhead.com