Friday, December 7, 2007

Going to the Doctor


What is it about a doctor's office that gets people nervous? I've been thinking about it lately. I went to see my doctor this week and it wasn't horrible, but while sitting in the waiting room I thought back on past doctor visits and tried to solve this riddle.

I don't think the doctor is scary, but rather uncomfortable. You generally go to the doctor when you're already feeling crappy or "uncomfortable." Then you have to sit in the waiting room--never sure when it will be your turn. When it is your turn, they take you into a small room and make you sit on the table. I know why the exam table is covered in that crinkly paper, but I still hate it. They leave you in the room until the doctor can get to you and so you're forced to sit. And wait. The room is so quiet I always feel like I need to be extra quiet and yet every move makes the paper "crinkle" noisily--only increasing my nervous anticipation.

I think the doctor's office is also an unlikeable situation because the doctor is going to touch you. Americans, as a general rule, don't like to be touched. We have our personal space "bubbles" and we stick to them. Going to the doctor's office means you pay and someone invades your personal space. Plus, they're going to tell you what's "wrong" with you. There's an ego boost...

Oh, and I especially appreciate that we have to pay before we see the doctor. Do they think the average patient is going to refuse to pay if they don't like the diagnosis? Maybe that's a logical fear. I hate going to the doctor, sitting through all the uncomfortable situations, only to have the doctor report that I have a virus: Prescription--juice. WHAT?! I always want to leap up with fiery wrath and exclaim--"Juice? JUICE?! I just forked out a $25 co-pay to hear 'juice'?! I don't think so buddy! For $25 I want drugs and lots of 'em!"

Or maybe its just me...

1 comments:

Unknown said...

I hate doctors because I'm a nurse. I think that's a good enough reason.

 
Header PS Brush by pinkonhead.com