Imagination. Its a great thing, especially when you're a kid. I remember playing "make believe" in my backyard--Circus, Zoo, Farm--you name it, we played it. I strongly support a good imagination as an adult too. Imagination allows me to lie in bed at night and create in my mind a perfect world with a high-paying job and a lifestyle that involves lots of good food and dance parties with Queen Latifah and Topher Grace.My imagination can sometimes work overtime and against me though. Take, for example, the other night when my friend invited me out on a date--to go swimming. I enjoy this friend's company so of course I said yes. It was only after I had wholeheartedly agreed that my mind started going crazy. My imagination, that blessed thing, took over.
What if he showed up to at my door wearing his swim trunks, flippers and a snorkel?! How could I face that and not laugh my head off and/or scream and run upstairs?
What if this date at his house included his entire family? We haven't gone out that many times. That would be awKward (with a giant capital K in the middle because I think that's more awkward than a capital A)
Wait a second! This date requires that I wear a swimsuit. That means I'll be like...half-naked in front of him. He'll be half-naked in front of me too, but still! AwKward again.
I have phobias about swimming. I'm afraid I'll be in the pool when somebody--most likely a young child--drowns. What if someone drowns? Or, worse, what if I drown or even half-drown and he has to drag me out of the pool dripping and choking, with snot running down my face because I thought I was going to die and almost did? He's not going to find that attractive.
The imagined scenarios get progressively worse from there, and trust me, its not pretty. Now don't get me wrong--I can still set all that aside, look at a situation logically, and know those scenarios will most likely not happen. However, with my imagination a-goin', its hard to remain calm and rational as the date approaches.
In all actuality, the most probable scenario will go like this: We go on the date. We swim. We have fun. I come home and laugh myself silly over my ludicrous imaginings and vow to never do this idiotic "freaking out" thing ever again.
And we all know how long that vow will last...

4 comments:
I see where you are going with this. But on the subject, I have an overwhelming fear of a child drowning in my pool, in my own backyard. I don't think I could ever move past that one. Yikes!
Holy cow! I totally went on that date! It was... and then he... but that one thing... if only I'd... and the HOT DOGS! Oy.
Good luck. I FEEL FOR YOU. (And, just maybe, will pray for it to rain really hard so that no one can swim and you all have to go out to dinner or order pizza and stay in for board games and movies. I CAN IMAGINE THAT.)
Swimming on a date....I did that once....on a FIRST date. You have to wonder about the guy just a little bit.......hmmm....
You're right--the capital K in the middle of awkward does look more awkward and is more appropriate. I like it.
I'm glad you had fun!
Post a Comment