Thursday, September 4, 2008

What if I don't want to be your friend?

I love Facebook. I love commenting on people's photos, and changing my status, and leaving random notes on people's walls. If Facebook wasn't blocked at work, I'd probably be on it at least 8 hours a day. However, there is one part of Facebook I do not like and its really the center of what Facebook is...Friend Requests. I understand that you have to request friends, or be requested by others, in order to really utilize the beauty of the Facebook Social Network. There's no point in having a Facebook Profile without friends. I agree with that wholeheartedly. But what do you do when you don't want to be Facebook friends with someone?

Sure, you went to high school together. Sure you were in the same Student Ward for a while. Sure you have 27 mutual friends. But so what?! I may know you, but that could also mean I know I don't want to know you any better. Or, more likely, I don't want you to know me any better.

I despise the awkwardness of Friend Requests. Every time I see a new one pop up, I grimace. "Who's it going to be this time? Will I be able to ignore them without facing further social stress?" Ignoring someone you're going to run into in Real Life poses all sorts of potential problems. Adding to the quandry is that silly "People You May Know" toolbar. If my face pops up again, aren't they going to realize I ignored their request the first, second, or even third time? Maybe they do. Maybe they don't care. Maybe their entire feeling of self is based on the number of Facebook Friends they can claim, and it doesn't matter how long it takes they will wear me down! Oy vey...

On the one hand, what's it going to hurt to add them? Its sort of fun to boast that you have 130 Facebook friends. And making connections with people, and staying in touch--even to a small degree--probably isn't a bad thing. But on the other hand--do you really have 130 friends? Or do you have 130 social networking acquaintances? I don't understand the point of having "friends" I don't really know.

Right now my Facebook Friend Formula is pretty simple:
  • If we are friends in Real Life, I will add you.*
  • If we hardly know each other, I will ignore you.
  • If I have ignored you once and then we run into each other in Real Life and you ask why I ignored you, I will make up a weak excuse about it being an accident and I will go home and request you...or not do anything and make that an even bigger lie than it was before.
  • If you request me time and time again, I will stop hitting the button to technically "Ignore" you. Rather, I will ignore you the way God intended: I will leave your request pending FOREVER so you can't request me anymore.
Am I cruel? I don't think so. And really, with the number of people requesting me lately (and summarily being ignored...), you don't think so either. So I'll see you on The Book...[or not.*Click*]

*Special cases do exist in which I will add someone I hardly know--especially if I think they are unbelievably cool. I guess that's another slap in the face to people I ignore. I obviously don't think you are unbelievably cool. Sorry.

9 comments:

*Aliese* said...

I enjoy the pending request FOREVER. Good call.

Charisse Baxter said...

Oh, man! I don't know if I've added you on Facebook! *runs off to check*

*comes back, out of breath*

BWA HA HA! Mission accomplished. (Er, exception that proves the rule, yes?)

Anonymous said...

Was this post because of my recent Friend Request? Nothing seems to have gone my way since that interview in Australia. Sigh...

RSP said...

True Story: A guy I despised in high school requested me after I ran in to him at a wedding in Utah (thought and hoped I would never see him again). I approved him and deleted him in the same minute. So, he got the message that he was approved but I wasn't his friend. Something must have gone wrong;) Anyway, now I just do the God intended ignoring. The only thing worse than a friend request you don't want is a multiple friend request you don't want. I figure most of them are just friend sluts anyway.

Anna said...

I feel so good that you didn't reject my friend request. But really, how could you, you know all about my 7th grade journal entry...I've gotta keep you close before you spill that to someone else.

Charisse Baxter said...

The irony - you post here, I add you there, and I immediately get hacked and you get spammed. And yet you're still speaking to me! Guess I'm just lucky!

The party was fun, but not as fun as it could have been with you there (obviously)... R's just a little bit of a poser-wimpy-pansy boy, isn't he? He constantly threatened to deliver a-kickings, and did not ONCE follow through. So disappointing. Next time!

Becky Knowles said...

I feel so very blessed to ALREADY be your friend on Facebook. But, if I don't see you soon I don't know if we can count as friends anymore. We should have lunch or maybe just go somewhere like the Gardner Village Witch show thing and we can walk (with strollers) and talk.....or SOMETHING!

Arianne said...

I'm going to recommend to all sorts of people who you don't know that they add you as a friend--cause now I know how happy that would make you. You didn't need to hint at it subtley...you just had to ask!

Emily said...

I know JUST what you mean~! I've had to do the same thing...the running into them, later part DOES suck!

 
Header PS Brush by pinkonhead.com