Sunday, September 21, 2008

The Art of Text Messaging

My parents regularly chastise me and my siblings for our constant text messaging. Their comments are probably one part Bewilderment, nine parts Dismay. The fact that I can send and receive over 2000 messages a month floors them. The fact that my sister does double that is sometimes more than the mind can conceive, I guess. I understand where some of their concern comes from. Too often we rely wholly on text messaging to communicate, and thus our basic communication skills begin to wane.

We've probably all seen a party of individuals standing together in silence as they all text message people not in their party; or you've been in attendance at a dinner when one member of the party continuously sends and receives text messages, ignoring the conversations going on around him or her. I admit, these offenses are embarrassing and I need to make a strong effort not to become a texting whore as so many do. But I also respect the power and fun there is to be had in a well-written text message.

Texting is by its very nature a world of quick, short communications. It is in text messaging that witty one-liners find a place beyond the spoken word. A quick, hilarious, comeback to a friend's question or comment can bring huge levels of satisfaction on both ends.

Texting has opened a brand new arena for flirtations with what we'll call, "interested parties." There's power in a carefully worded line to the guy you went out with the night before. It may be under 160 characters, but you can express a whole lot of information with only, "I had a good time last night. How are you?" The fact that you even pulled out the phone and typed it in lets him know--you're interested. And the one-liner aspect opens up an even larger realm with all sorts of flirtatious gems (I find I can't give any specific examples of these without embarrassing myself more than I feel comfortable with at the moment).

Another note--the emoticon was perhaps born in a world of Email, but has fully realized its potential in text messaging. :) or ;) or :p. They all express what you're really feeling and trying to say--without actually saying anything! Genius. Though I do suggest avoiding a text message that consists only of a ;) unless you're sure they have unlimited text messaging. But really people--its 2008! Get unlimited! Sheesh...

Overall, I'd say text messaging Rocks. Many times I'd prefer a text than an actual conversation. But not always. Sometimes a real conversation is a better idea, so don't let yourself become a text whore. Also recognize that in texting, as in all non-verbal communication, MIScommunications can be rampant. Be very careful...*

But have fun! And I'll text ya later.

* If its a serious convo, it probably shouldn't be taking place via Text Messaging in the first place. I'm just sayin'...

2 comments:

Arianne said...

I do enjoy texting. It's so convenient--especially when you just want to confirm a quick detail with someone. No need for a long conversation--just a quick text.

RSP said...

These days unlimited is the only way to go. My mom and husband are texting whores. They will both eventually die in a car crash while texting, I swear by it. In fact, I had the pleasure of being with my mom when she got a ticket for texting her way through a stop sign! Best day ever. She will also text you at a restaurant while you are sitting directly across from her just to ask what you are going to order. It's madness I tell you. Every month our family plan reaches nearly 20,000 text messages collectively. Numbers that would blow your mind.

 
Header PS Brush by pinkonhead.com