Tuesday, September 2, 2008

On Roadtrips and Corn

I like to Road Trip with friends. Road trips mean mix Cds, treats (gummy-ish and otherwise), good conversation, and usually hilarious inside jokes. And a road trip almost always means you're headed somewhere fun for a weekend or maybe longer. What's not to love?! The journey out of town will almost definitely fly faster than the trip back into town--an unfortunate consequence of our anticipation of what's to come. Traffic jams will almost definitely result in some profanity--an unfortunate consequence of traffic jams and human frustration. And road trips, in general, will almost definitely result in good times all around--a fortunate consequence of being trapped in an enclosed space for hours at a time.

Labor Day weekend offered a chance to Road Trip to the small town of Rigby, Idaho with my friend, Ryan. The opportunity to visit his grandparents was also opportunity to get away from Salt Lake for a while--and I welcomed it! We drove up late Friday night and despite some minor weaving due to text messaging while driving [insert stern chastising glare in the driver's general direction...] we made it to Rigby alive and well and in good time. AND THE STARS! It was gorgeous getting away from the city lights and seeing an incredible view of the night sky. Ryan claims we saw like 10 shooting stars; I saw 5 and swear Ryan made up the last 5 cuz I didn't see anything shoot by. Anyway...it was awesome.

Weekend highlights: floating down the canal in icy water (i.e. Quality Time With Ryan), Bambinos, Star Wars, The Worst Witch, Pete's Dragon, Bedknobs and Broomsticks, poorly played duets on the piano, Ryan's grandparents, singing to Disney soundtracks, and food food and more food.

A word on food--we ate a lot of it. Ryan's grandma was cooking and handing out enough food to feed a small nation. I don't remember a moment of really being hungry all weekend. In fact, more often than not I was full to the brim. Just when I'd reach a feeling of normalcy, it would be time to eat again. Go figure! Oh well, it was all so good I can't complain really. The peach cheesecake was awesome. And the corn we had at almost every meal was incredible. I've never had better in my life! Delicious. Ah, I miss it...

But back to life, you know? That's the thing with road trips--they almost definitely result in a desire to leave for another trip as soon as possible. Where should I go next?!

2 comments:

RSP said...

It won't be too long before you're craving the Phoenix weather....

Arianne said...

Road trip to Boston and visit me.

 
Header PS Brush by pinkonhead.com