I’ve been thinking a lot on this subject lately. As the new school year starts. I’m reminded again that my 8th graders obviously see me as a grown up. Yes, a few of them have told me I’m not like a lot of other “grown ups,” but in their eyes I’m obviously one of the older crowd. This idea sort of fascinates me. Because in my mind—I’m not a grown up. I feel more like a teenager with money to spare.
So is “grown up” an age? Or a situation? Or perhaps even a state of
mind? I’m already 25 and I don’t feel grown up. I’m inclined to think growing up has little to do with an age mark. Situation seems more likely. A few weeks ago while floating down an icy canal in Idaho, and remarking that my students wouldn’t believe this was how I—a supposed grown up!—spent my weekend, Ryan suggested you didn’t really grow up until you had kids. Of course, neither Ryan nor I have kids so we can’t confirm this idea. It could be true in some cases, but I also know some mothers and fathers who are incredibly immature and I can’t believe they’ve grown up yet.Tangenting for a moment (because that’s what I do)—I think there are some people who become grown ups and it doesn’t make any difference. They were boring unimaginative children, and now they’re boring unimaginative adults. I pity these people. I guess in my mind, “growing up” is really a state of moving on from childish things—dreams, fantasies, play time, etc. This is why there are senior citizens who still aren’t technically “grown ups.”
So if “growing up” really is a state of mind, we decide--either consciously or unconsciously--to grow up. At some point, the vast majority of people become grown ups. For some grown ups the point comes with getting a real job. Other grown ups become such when they have kids. But a small percentage of people never make the leap into "grown up"-hood.
I sort of hope I'm in that percentage. I don’t want to move beyond the part of me that loves Disneyland, Harry Potter sheets, sleepovers, and still believes in Santa. If growing up is a state of mind, we can do “grown up” things and still feel like a kid inside. I can put money in my 401K, stick to a budget, and make sure I eat my vegetables--and still build forts, eat ice cream for dinner, and sing along to The Little Mermaid anytime I want to.
And I think that is what makes my Adult life so very, very cool.

5 comments:
What a question!!! I have kids and somedays I don't feel very grown up. I think I always WANTED to be a "grown up", so every chance I was given I let myself grow up a little. I am the person that wants to be grown up, but be able to say at any moment..."I'm just not going to be grown up today." Is that allowed?
Yeah, being a parent definitely does not make one a grown-up... if anything, sometimes it feels like the opposite, because we spend so much of our time playing with toys, or plaing at the park, or singing along with children's songs... I might be better at being a child now than I ever was before--I always took myself so seriously. I often find myself wondering if I'll ever really feel like a grown-up.
On the other hand, I really don't like it when adults don't act age appropriate... dressing too young, trying to participate in activities meant for young people... though where the line is, and how one crosses it, I don't exactly know yet. I just hope I never become one of those crazy adults I don't really like.
I think "growing up" or "being mature" is more a matter of propriety. You can still do fun things like cover someone in an entire can of silly string, or have midday dance parties for no other reason than just because, but you know when those things are appropriate and when they are not.
Also, one of my favorite quotes of all time says, "You don't stop playing because you get old, you get old because you stop playing."
Here's to never getting old!
Have you read Peter Pan? The book is good...but Peter is kind of scary. This perpetual kid who never connects actions with consequence. Anyway, I recommend it.
You stole the words right out of my mouth. I'm always telling Tyson how I don't make a very good adult. Although, I don't think becoming a parent will help all that much in my case. For so many, having kids only keeps you younger. Here's hoping!
Post a Comment