Monday, June 2, 2008

Is this a new leaf, perhaps?

I have to admit that I'm sometimes rather insane. And freakish. And I fret. I think that's the perfect word for it--fret. I worry about things that probably don't need to be worried about, and they often distract me to the point of bothering other people. And I don't like bothering other people. The end of last week? I was fretting. Relationships bring about one bout of fretting after another. There's just so many things to think about! And worry about! But I've decided to stop. (Who knows how long this will last...)

Yesterday in church we had a lesson in Relief Society that really helped me. The teacher used a past Visiting Teaching message that suggested three ways to Prepare for a Future Marriage. And no, this is not an announcement about any upcoming nuptials on my part. Rather, I think this is good advice for anybody single, dating, engaged...whatever. Anyway, she suggested we should learn to
1. Appreciate
2. Communicate, and
3. Contemplate.

During class we talked in detail about the first two, but I spent some personal time pondering the importance of Contemplation.

I think contemplation is very different from worrying/fretting. I can contemplate the future, or I can worry about the future. I can contemplate my relationships, or I can worry about them. So different, you know? I'd prefer to contemplate. Contemplating suggests to me quiet thinking--more faithful thinking, if you will. Worrying is negative. Contemplating is positive. My goal this week is to contemplate rather than worry. Those who know me best, know this is going to be a challenge, but I think I'm up to it.

So next time you're with me, please feel free to slap me across the face if I'm worrying or stressing about something. I'll Appreciate your willingness to Communicate to me that I'm not being Contemplative.

0 comments:

 
Header PS Brush by pinkonhead.com