Sunday, June 22, 2008

The Days of Summer

Summertime hit yesterday in more ways than one. Yesterday was June 21st--the Summer Solstice and summer's official start. Yesterday was also the first time this year I truly felt like SUMMER. I've already been living up vacation, but yesterday's adventures really brought SUMMER home to me. And it was awesome.

Stop number one was the Farmer's Market in downtown Salt Lake with my BFF, Greg. This was our first trip to said market, and the experience was really fun. I loved the musicians and the bustling crowds. There were more artist's booths than I was expecting, but a lot of their pieces were pretty cool. I bought a new hairband that I'm eager to try out--it looks pretty nifty. If you see me with it in, let me know what you think, k? I crave validation on a new purchase.

From there, we basked in the Salt Lake sunshine for a few blocks, making our way to the Conference Center on North Temple. A thought from our trek through Salt Lake: SLC is usually a pretty city, but its currently under construction (yes, the entire city it seems) and looks like a dismal abyss of despair. If you've never seen our fine city, do us a favor and plan your trip 3-4 years hence. THEN it will look spiffy again...I hope. Once at the Conference Center we chatted with The Toffer for a few minutes and took some time to relax in the cool AC.

Met up with Josh and Brianna. Lunched at The Crown Burger. I recently glanced through a book about the best hamburgers across America. Utah's own Crown Burger made the list. If you haven't tried it you're way behind the times. Get 'er done, my friend. GET 'ER DONE!! For my part, I thoroughly enjoyed my hamburger and chocolate shake. Yummy yummy in my tummy!

After lunch we headed back to the SF Condos for a dip in the pool. And that, my friends, was the moment it hit. SUMMERTIME. Swimming under a blue sky and gorgeous sun with fantastic friends? That is what summer is all about! And the fact that said friends work about as much as I do during the summer, means we'll be enjoying the pool and the glory of the sun every day we're in town, I'm sure. Delightful.

We interrupted "Pool Time" for an hour or so to make homemade salsa and veggie pita pizzas. Dinner was scrumptious--Toffer is quite the salseur*!--and the entertainment (The "classic" 9 to 5) was hilariously absurd. With the sun waning, we headed back to the pool for some more swimming, hot tubbing, and discussions about the opposite sex. For the record, the discussion was beyond amusing and I'm still thinking about it with a smile on my face.

A trio of unruly children brought our pool time to an end, so we headed back to the house for the rest of 9 to 5 and S'mores roasted over the stove.

As you read this, can you sense the magic of the day? I don't know that you can--I'm not the best at capturing the feeling of a time in my writing. But it was magical! It was summery! It was the Bomb.com! I was happy all day--for every second, of every minute, of every hour, all day.

And now I look a bit "sunkissed." I'm so pleased I may just have to break into song.

Happy Summer y'all!!

*Definition: one who prepares salsa.

3 comments:

Anna said...

there is something magical about summer. too true.

Meredith said...

I love summer as well! Colby and I went swimming last night with some friends in our ward. It was fantastic!!

RSP said...

I'm jealous. Living in Phoenix and San Diego, it's summer a lot of the time, but the defining moment is much harder to recognize.

 
Header PS Brush by pinkonhead.com