Monday, June 2, 2008

Audience Participation is Requested

Today during my lunch hour I consumed a Little Debbie Oatmeal Creme Pie. Before you ask, no, it wasn't that good. Its a pre-packaged, over-preservativized, cookie-like treat--not a Black Tie Mousse Cheesecake. But that's not the point. The point is I watched Honey, I Shrunk the Kids on a regular basis during my formative years, and now I cannot eat a Little Debbie Oatmeal Creme Pie without thinking of those tiny kids playing in a forgotten GIANT Oatmeal Creme Pie on the Szalinski's lawn. Good times, you know?

Really, when you put some thought into it, a good number of Movie-Food Combinations come to mind. The Oatmeal Creme Pie is probably the most obvious to me, but I came up with a few others.
  • Ghostbusters and Twinkies: Who can forget Dr. Egon Spengler's explanation of the paranormal activity in the area with the help of a Twinkie visual aid?
    "Well, let's say this Twinkie represents the normal amount of psychokinetic energy in the New York area. Based on this morning's reading, it would be a Twinkie thirty-five feet long, weighing approximately six hundred pounds.""That's a big Twinkie"
  • Home Alone and Cheese Pizza: I'm not anti-Cheese pizza, but I usually prefer a pie with more toppings. But there's something so memorable about Macauley Culkin picking up the pizza at his back door, taking a big whiff, and saying , "A lovely cheese pizza--all for me."
  • Father of the Bride, Part II and Rolls: This was a line quoted at my house almost every time Mom served rolls with dinner. Just after Steve Martin takes the sleeping pills Frank offered, he drops dead asleep at dinner in the midst of requesting the rolls. Reenacted time and again at our dinner table, hilarity ensues with "Please pass the rolls...zzzz...."
  • Lady and the Tramp and Spaghetti 'n Meatballs: The classic scene of Lady and Tramp sharing a giant plate of spaghetti and meatballs under the stars, with "Bella Notte" playing...Beautiful piece of animation. And every time I order Spaghetti and Meatballs (especially at Buca di Beppos), I think of the Lady and her man from the wrong side of the tracks.
  • While You Were Sleeping and Eggnog: There are actually numerous foods that make me think of this movie (bran muffins, mashed potatoes, Jell-O), but Eggnog takes the cake. Every time I'm offered Eggnog I think of Midge explaining, "Elsie made her eggnog..." and Ox's immediate comeback, "Warning...drink slowly." Hee hee!!
  • E.T. and Reese's Pieces: I only saw the movie once, but I will always connect these tasty candies to the classic alien film.
So this is where you come in! What other combinations connect in your mind? Share away--it makes me hungry just thinking about it. And that's saying something considering I just ate an Oatmeal Creme Pie and should want to throw up...

4 comments:

Meredith said...

Since it was probably only the Osborn household that saw "The B.R.A.T. Patrol," only you and I will understand. Ding Dongs. Always, without fail, when I have a ding dong I think of that movie.

Anna said...

how about..."what excellent boiled potatoes"...

Steve Weller said...

Tara! I'm glad I found your site! Just wanted to see how you were doing and all that Jazz. Hope all is well with school--I do my student teaching this fall at Manti High and I'm a bit nervous about it. 11th grade English will certainly be a new experience! Anyway, check out the pictures of our new baby, and tell me he isn't the cutest little boy you've ever seen!

Charisse Baxter said...

"Drink slowly"? No way! I always thought he said "Drink soda"! OK, now I'm going to have to go watch the movie again.

It's not a particularly touching or comic connection, but I just re-watched the entire Lord of the Rings set of movies (extended editions - yowza) and there were quite a few apples being tossed around in there... "Does he know about Second Breakfast? What about Elevensies?"

 
Header PS Brush by pinkonhead.com