I've been thinking recently about good times in high school. Now, I'm a very happy young adult. I love the fact that I'm independent, and financially secure. I like setting my own curfew and eating dessert before dinner (or dessert FOR dinner, on occasion). Really, high school was just a bunch of drama and embarrassing/awkward moments. But there are some things about high school that I do miss. Mainly, I miss the music programs in high school.
I was a complete choir nerd in high school. I love singing--as a group, by myself. What can I say--I have a heart full of song :) Plus, I love being on stage in front of people. My junior year of high school I took a Musical Theater class (aka The Class O' My Dreams). Our curriculum? Practice singing showtunes and put together individual and group production numbers. My assignment/project was to sing in front of people on a regular basis and I thought it was awesome. I've always loved hearing my own voice--singing or speaking. This just gave me a good excuse to do it...and make people listen. (I'm sure this is also one of the reasons I chose teaching as my profession. A captive audience of teenagers forced to listen to me 5 days a week. [Insert evil laugh here])
The problem I see is that during high school you're "surrounded by a lot of positive support"--and after high school you're supposed to be an adult and that all falls away. (Okay, so maybe that's a bit dramatic, but it takes in the general idea.) Unless you dare step into the sordid world of Community Theater (and I shudder at the thought), you don't get a chance as an adult to sing and dance in front of people. There are just no opportunities for that sort of thing. Well, I should note you CAN sing and dance in front of people. But people generally think you're strange for belting out 'Don't Rain on My Parade' in the middle of the grocery store. I'm just sayin'...
So...there you go. There is something cool about high school. It's just the way it is. And I miss it sometimes. That's all.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

0 comments:
Post a Comment