Monday, February 1, 2010

That would be the Life!

Yesterday morning I was perusing a story from last year's Washington Post. The story highlighted the life of touring Broadway performers. A few of the actors interviewed had been touring for years with certain shows. And as I read I just kept thinking, "That would be an AWESOME job! They're so lucky!" Taking a step back, I realized how often I look at other people's lives and professions and feel a teeny bit of jealousy over what they have. It could be their hours, their benefits, or even their actual responsibilities but I'm so often comparing my "boring" life to somebody else's.

But why?! Sure--teaching 200 middle school students the big ideas of American History might not be the most glamorous option for employment. But doggone it, I like it! And there are things about my job that should make other people pause and think, "That would be the life! She's so lucky!"

First and foremost, as everyone knows, teachers get the summer off. Woohoo! Now, I actually would prefer to teach a year-round schedule getting 3 weeks off here and there, but STILL. Loads of time off during the calendar year.

Second, my job is never the same. Yes each day is "teaching," but each day is actually a different format. One day I could be lecturing, another day we're doing a guided reading assignment in the book, and the next day we're reenacting Ellis Island. Its kind of awesome.

Third, every now and again you get a total boost from somebody--a student, fellow teacher, or a parent--sending along a sincere thank you for what you do. I'll emphasize this may be rare, but its kind of like seeing Mecca when it does happen.

Finally, being a middle school history teacher gives me opportunity to talk every day about one of my great loves--History. I really do love it. I love that I get to study what I love over and over again, and unlike in college--there's not really a test at the end. At least, not for me, I guess.

So really--life is good. I may not be up singing "Aida" every night in front of a well-paying crowd, but I do get to stand in front of a captive audience each day and perform a "dog and pony show" about US History. The only real difference is that my show rarely garners a standing ovation. And I think I'm okay with that.

2 comments:

*Aliese* said...

Agreed. :)

Arianne said...

I'm sure the kids are applauding in their hearts.

 
Header PS Brush by pinkonhead.com