Anyway, despite all these good times and good treats, I couldn't help but be frustrated by a few things. It doesn't matter how magical Disney is, its also a public place thus forcing you to deal with people. And people, as a general rule, are annoying. With some analysis and time to think, I have crystalized my Four Disney Pet Peeves--in a very particular order.
1. Strollers. I hate strollers at Disneyland. They get in the way. Parents use them as weapons whilst moving through crowds. If a person were to stop in the middle of the pathway, you go around them easily; if a person with a stroller stops, the entire crowd has to stop because its just so big! My siblings suggested we market shirts featuring this wise saying: "Strollers: Ruining Disneyland Since 1955." I'd buy one.

2. Babies/Toddlers. Maybe this seems wrong because Disney is for kids, right? But I firmly believe Disneyland is not the place for children under the age of 6. Relating directly to #1, if your children still need a stroller they shouldn't be at Disneyland. Children under the age of 6 can't handle, or appreciate, the magic of Disney. I hate the crying, the screaming, the little human-ites underfoot...leave them at home. Bring them to this happy place when they are old enough to deal with it. And really love it.
3. No Line Etiquette. If I was to write a book on any aspect of Disneyland Touring, it would be on proper line etiquette. I would send copies to everyone who books a trip through Disney Vacations in the hope that it might make a difference. If you have a trip planned to Disneyland or Disney World or the movie theater or anywhere that queuing will take place--please pay attention. Proper Line Etiquette is simple.
- Do Not Get In Line Until Your Entire Party Is With You.
- If you get in line first and the rest of your party gets in four people back, you move back--they don't move up with you.
4. My Vacation is More Important Than Yours. Despite the fact that they are surrounded by hundreds of other people who have come to this happy place for a fun vacation with family and friends, some Disney guests act like they are the only people there. Or at least like they should be the only people there. These are the brash, rude, line jumping guests who will do anything to make sure their vacation is the best--even if it means infringing on the good times of others.
The answer to all of these problems is easy. People need to stop and have a little consideration for others. Really. That's it. If people would stop and think about the other people who will be vacationing around them at Disneyland, they'd probably act a little different--a little better. They would realize that their untameable 2-year old might be frustrating to have at a busy park--especially when strapped into a large stroller. They would realize that many people want to ride Peter Pan's Flight and they should get in line in an orderly fashion to as not cause more problems to other people looking for a good time.
Really folks. This is not hard. Just try a little hard. Be a little better. Then we can all enjoy the magic of Disney a little bit more. And eat lots of churros together in harmony. Nothing wrong with that.

6 comments:
Love this post. I agree whole-heartedly with each and every complaint! I miss Disney and feel as though I should venture there soon...Possibly this summer.
Oh how I can't wait until the day when you have little rugrats of your own and can't keep yourself away from Disneyland because you're 10, 8, 5, and if luck have it 2 year old REALLY want to go! Disneyland is more about being there as a family regardless of the challenges small children bring to the parents as well as others. Glad you could go with your family at a stage where everyone is big enough not to be strolled around. :)
"My vacation is more important than yours" sounds familar:)
Oh my, you are going to struggle when you have children.
I'm anti-stroller. Now, this attitude will probably change once I have children of my own, but my feeling is this: If my child is too big to be carried in a sling, they are big enough to walk. 'Nough said.
I'm amused at the readers who think I'll change my opinions when I have kids. I can honestly say I won't. This isn't the ranting of someone who is merely single. These are the rantings of a single woman who has worked for Disney AND was raised in a family where you didn't get to go to Disneyland until you were at least 6.
So there. Leave your babies and toddlers at home. I will.
Post a Comment