Here's the game: Give me a word--any word*--and I will provide a true story that relates to it. I have a sneaking suspicion I can come up with something for any given word in the English language. I'm starting today with one of my favorite words...and favorite stories. But go ahead and suggest some for the future and I'll see what I can do.
RHOMBUS
I graduated from the Y with a B.A. in History Teaching. After a year in the History Teaching program, I learned the sad truth that its hard to get a job teaching history--especially if you don't coach. Our professors strongly encouraged us to find another subject to minor in or to seek out an endorsement of some sort. I only needed to take 3 courses for a Level 2 Math Endorsement, so I decided to pursue that course.
Being a History Teaching major in the Math Teaching courses was generally, in a word, humiliating. I had forgotten a lot my basic math and this fact reared its ugly head on more than one occasion. One of the most memorable came in a technology class. We were instructed to create a rhombus on our Geometer's Sketchpad program. I turned to the girl sitting next to me and politely asked what a rhombus was. The look she gave in response was a mixture of shock/disdain/horror/amusement. It was a look I received a lot in those classes. It was a look I clearly understood to mean, "What the #!&* are you doing in this class?!"
I took the hint. Today I teach 6 periods of history--and only history. Math students of the world can rejoice.
*But let's all be adults and keep it relatively clean, shall we?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

4 comments:
Turpentine.
Aw, I love a good rhombus! I also love that they were disgusted when you asked for help...I think I would like to submit a few words for stories! I guess I can allow you to choose which ones (all or any) you'd like to share stories with:
*TWINKIE
*ROAD RASH
*SHARPIE MARKER
*TRASH CAN
...Do those last three count as two words each? :) If so, you may omit the ones of your choosing.
Do you want to know what I think about a rhombus?
It's a girl's best friend and I want one!
Harpo
Post a Comment