After four days of celebration, I can say emphatically that I had a great 26th birthday. It was--in a word--Awesome. I got 25 comments on Facebook, 5 text messages before 9 am, and even Brad Paisley emailed me his birthday wishes! What more could a girl ask for?
As I lay in bed yesterday morning wishing people had waited until after 9:00 am to wish me a happy birthday, I began to ponder what I have learned in my 26 years as a sentient, mortal being. Here's what I've come up with:
1. Prioritizing your life is absolutely key. First things have to come first.
2. Bad habits are hard to break, and good habits are easy to lose.
3. There's nothing more satisfying in life than achieving a goal you've worked really hard for.
4. Midnight movies are super fun and should be experienced at least once...but shouldn't become a regular occurrence.
5. You're never too old for Disney Channel Original movies.
6. Parental Units are wise and asking for their advice is a good idea. Plus it will make them feel good. And you know there's nothing wrong with that.
7. Nostalgia knows no age. I may be only 26 but I pine for the good old days of TGIF, Big Wheels, and running through the sprinklers.
8. It takes a certain kind of person to be a travel companion and even very good friends might not qualify.
9. Everyone loves to be remembered. Its worth it to take time to write a note, or say hello, or thank somebody for even the smallest thing. Its important to tell people what you like about them.
10. It is worth the extra cost to see well done, professional theater.
11. You should never say "Never." Many a thing you once thought you'd hate, you'll learn to love (i.e. Lord of the Rings, tomatoes, etc.)
12. Sometimes you just need to dance.
13. Taking care of oneself--spiritually, physically, emotionally, economically--is very important. Its better to keep up on your self-care, then to try and catch up.
14. Prayer works.
15. Its good to constantly find new ways to challenge yourself. Learn a new skill or set a new goal. Progress is key--onward and upward!
16. Generosity is a trait well-liked by most everyone. Practice it whenever you can.
17. There's really no excuse for skipping dessert.
18. Roadtrips make memories that will last a lifetime.
19. Even a "Kid at Heart" has to start acting like a grownup at some point. (Except at Disneyland. Everyone's a kid at Disney.)
20. It is best to be content with life. Find happiness in your situation, but still hope for good things in the future. Dwelling on things you don't have will never make you happy.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

3 comments:
I like this list.
That's all.
Glad you had a happy birthday. :)
26! Gasp!
I really like number 19. True. And I like the don't say never. You and Lord of the Rings still crack me up--I was there for the metamorphoses. Love it. And, I'm glad you had a happy birthday! 26 will be an awesome year.
Post a Comment