Thursday, December 4, 2008

Make it a Better Place

I love a good cause. I love fundraising, organizing food drives, and generally doing my part to make the world a better place. "Professional Fundraiser" is definitely high up on my Dream Job List. Each fall/winter I get to lead the Student Body Officers at school in a variety of good causes. I mentioned elsewhere our annual food drive. It was an incredible success this year--I was blown away by how giving our students were. I think especially with such a terrible economic situation, donating to your local food bank is an awesome way to help out in the holiday season.

Currently we're in the midst of our Christmas fundraiser. This year we're raising money to provide Christmas to the families of National Guardsmen who are serving overseas. I think its a good cause, and with a military camp so close to our school there's a good local connection too. The kids seem to be excited about "winning" (its grade vs. grade), but I'm always excited to see the Grand Total increase each day. I couldn't care less about which grade wins. I'm just pleased that we raise so much money to help people who need it! I have all these "causes" I want to support. If only I were rich instead of beautiful... *sigh*

And speaking of changing the world, I totally helped on Monday! I did my small part to cure the world Aids crisis. How? Vanilla Bean Frap from Starbucks. I buy a drink. Starbucks donates 5 cents to the RED organization. Its totally a win-win-win.

How will you change the world this holiday season?

5 comments:

Brooke said...

Wow. Professional fundraiser is definitely not up on my list of things to do, but I love the results of fundraising and I appreciate those that get a high out of it like you. I think there is a degree at college that's for that like philadrophy or something close, and jobs at colleges where that's all the people do is fundraise and earn money for the colleges. Maybe you could do it on the side...

*Aliese* said...

I didn't know you did student government stuff; that's fabulous!

Meredith said...

Didn't you want to be a Carpenter at one point? Now what's this...a professional fundraiser person? Wow...your mind changes a lot!

Greg D said...

Weird that our journal topic for yesterday was how my students can change the world. Most of them wrote things like, "pick up trash," or, "be nice to people." But it's a start. Personally I plan on using mad skills to bring back the 2$ bill.

Anonymous said...

As a member of the National Guard, I thank you and your students personally for the work you are doing to support the families of my fellow service men and women. You really are an awesome person :).

 
Header PS Brush by pinkonhead.com