Tuesday, May 20, 2008

In Search of a 12-Step Program

My name is Tara and I'm a TV Addict.

I have been an admitted addict since 2003. In spring of 2003, I spent an entire day of finals week watching Animal Planet. That was also the year I basically cut off the world when The West Wing came on--putting the show before school, friends, and church. I began to suspect I had a problem when I would spend two hours watching an Infomercial for a food dehydrator, or watch a Spanish soap opera without understanding a word of it. I finally had to admit, "I have a problem" and begin to deal with it.

I feel I've been relatively successful. When I go to restaurants like TGIFridays or Applebees, where TV's are mounted on the wall, I try to seat myself facing away from the television. Its not that TV is terrible, but I become a terrible dinner companion if my attention is taken in any way by the television. I'm also very aware of which shows I allow myself to "follow." Currently, I only watch Grey's Anatomy pretty regularly and I've found that as my Thursday's get busier I often have to watch it online later in the week*. This is a step forward. In the past, I forced my world to stop for TV...and that's just not right.

But recently...I've been slipping. Its not that I'm cutting the world off, or missing appointments or anything. Its just that I'm letting myself get sucked into one new show after another. This to me is another indicator of TV Addiction--I can get sucked into a series like that [insert cheesy snapping of the finger like a Lawyer advertising his services on TV]! In recent days, I have watched, and connected with, no less than four new shows. My problem is that I'll flip on the TV, or link to hulu.com, and get sucked in--"I want to know what happens next! Is he really the bad guy?! OH MY GOSH DID THAT REALLY JUST HAPPEN!?"...and I don't even know the names of all the characters.

This is what I've learned in the past four days:
  • Buffy had her heart broken by Angel...and Angel is now pure evil.
  • House's favorite soap star was getting poisoned with the "tonic" part of a gin and tonic.
  • Xander is mooning after Buffy, and completely missing the fact that Willow is mooning after him (ah, high school...)
  • Wilson's girlfriend/wife(?) died because House misdiagnosed her illness. (At least I think that's what happened...I know she's dead. For sure.)
  • Some nerdy, anime-loving, Japanese man has taken the leap and called the beautiful girl from the subway. What will she say?!
  • The CSI: Miami team is being blackmailed/targeted by a member of their own team! And he's the attractive one, too!
The overwhelming feeling I get looking over this list is WTF?! WHO CARES?! And that's exactly the problem. There's no reason to watch this much TV. There are many many many better things I could be doing with my time. I could be sleeping, cooking, cleaning, reading, writing letters, or spending time with friends or family--among other things. I don't think an hour or so with the television (or hulu!) is bad. But when I can ramble off numerous random factoids about four shows I know little about anyway?

My name is Tara and I'm a TV Addict.

*I will not buy TiVo as that could only exacerbate the problem. And P to the S? "Exacerbate" is a fantastic word.

7 comments:

Anna said...

oh I so am with you. the fact that TV is online a lot now helps as I can watch the shows I like in a lot less time and when I want. I must say however that some shows are just a must see---House, there is no man as hysterical as Hugh Laurie on that show and if the Gilmore Girls were still airing I do believe I would still tune out everyone around me and get upset if they tried to talk to me before a commercial break....unhealthy, probably, but I do so love the Gilmore Girls.

Charisse Baxter said...

Congratulations on taking that first step and admitting you have a problem! You're very brave.

I'm with you on the Tivo - many people I know with DVR treat it like another (and most important) member of the family. Hold out as long as you can! (There are other options, after all.

I'm not so much a TV addict (my roomie and I still don't have a TV feed), but I am a TV-on-DVD junkie - I never saw it coming, but 3 seasons of "Wonder Woman". 1 season of "Remington Steele", and all the seasons of "Arrested Development" and "Farscape" later, I think I might have a problem.

So I just want you to know - I understand. Also, that we should totally get together sometime for a Buffy-the-Vampire-Slayer-Fest - I've got the first four seasons on DVD. When fighting through an addiction, it's good to have a friend along!

Elisa said...

I was late for homecoming my senior year because I was watching "In a Heartbeat" on the Disney Channel. True story.

Arianne said...

For the fall you need to start following Pushing Daisies. LOVE THAT SHOW!
That and Battlestar Galactica. Cause I can watch them both online or on DVD. Cause I don't have a TV...

Meredith said...

I totally agree with you sister! When you do find a recovery program...let me know. :-)

Unknown said...

I swear the invention of watching back episodes of tv online is ruining my life. I don't even care if they're subtitled in chinese as long as I have access to the whole series. I really need a day job.

RSP said...

You will someday go back on your word. Tivo will change your life forever.

 
Header PS Brush by pinkonhead.com