Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Desserts Are a Different Story

I haven't cooked dinner in days...possibly weeks. I could run down the schedule for you but suffice it to say I've been eating out. When I say "eating out," I mean it simply--I've been eating outside of my own house. Sometimes I'm at my mom's, a friend's, or a restaurant with friends. This sort of lifestyle does mean my budget gets a little tight, but the convenience is fantastic. But tonight I decided it was time for a change. Tonight I cooked for myself, and in honor of this rare occasion, I tackled Lasagna.

I've never made lasagna before. My mother hated making it so we rarely had it growing up. The occasions we did enjoy lasagna it was brought to us by Stauffer's Frozen Dinners. I've always liked the cheesy pasta layers, but my mother's disinclination towards the dish definitely impacted my own views on creating one of my own. Quite honestly, I don't know where my sudden desire to make lasagna came from. But it came all the same, and I've been thinking about attempting lasagna for a few weeks now. I stuck with a simple recipe Meredith suggested. There's no doubt its simple because its called Simply Lasagna--brought to you by Kraftfoods.com. And it was simple! And it is delicious! And it makes a massive casserole dish full of lasagna so I'll be eating it for weeks!

I imagine when I'm a mother and have a hungry brood to feed, this will be a great dish to prepare. It would also be good to take to a potluck dinner. But for one person? THERE'S SO MUCH LASAGNA!! Its really rather insane. Anybody want to try some? I have lots.

But enough about lasagna and back to the idea of me cooking in general. I like it. I like creating tasty things that can be consumed (Did anyone else just picture some bizarre edible scrapbook page or toll painted frame? No? Okay, just me then.) Like I said, I enjoy it. But it also makes me tired and that's before the clean up. I still think its probably worth it. There's a great deal of satisfaction to be gained in cooking something delicious. And I'd bet in the long run its cheaper.

So perhaps I should set a goal to go a week without eating out. I should create/cook 3 meals a day for one week. Think I can do it? I'm willing to bet I could rock that idea. But it will have to wait until after Crown Burger tomorrow. And Lagoon on Friday. And Mom's on Saturday. And...

Oh who'm I kidding?! This'll never work.

Here's to cooking once in a blue moon and lovin' every minute of it!

5 comments:

Greg D said...

I think I would cook more if I had more time...and if I wasn't lazy. Though I'm about to read a book about the science of cooking. I'm hoping it will make the prospect of cooking not only easier, but more exciting. We'll see...

Meredith said...

I enjoy the thought of cooking- it is really fun! But it's the clean-up and having to decide what to make that is not fun. I don't cook as often as I should...poor Colby.

Jacob said...

I did a Lasagna once. Turned out pretty good. If it wasn't so expensive (the good products)I would make it more often.

*Aliese* said...

Oh my word, Lagoon...I miss that place...Please tell me you remember that fabulous Lagoon trip you and I took together? ...I think it was the summer between our Sophomore and Junior years...Good times!

RSP said...

I could totally go for some Lasagna right now. Yummy! So, here's the deal...cooking for two people costs about as much as eating out. We end up throwing away so much food and that money goes to waste anyway. I also like to create good food, but also hate the cleanup. Good thing I married a self proclaimed chef who occasionally pitches in! You gotta get one of those for yourself...it's awesome. He also doesn't believe in what he calls "Mormon" cooking. No frozen foods, no microwave, no casseroles, and unfortunately for me, no lasagna. With a palate like his, I think we save money eating out.

 
Header PS Brush by pinkonhead.com