The story revolves around a musical prodigy orphan (and how many of those are you going to find in a lifetime?) who is sure his parents are still alive because he can somehow hear them through music. Evan (aka August), played by the always delightful Freddie Highmore, sets out on a journey to find his parents and discovers his musical ability on the way—with the "help" of the strange “I’m a villain/I’m a good guy/I’m entirely screwed up” Wizard, played by Robin Williams. At the same time we’re following Evan/August’s story, his parents—played by Keri Russell and Jonathan Rhys Meyers—are on their own journeys to find their way back to each other and to the music. If you think there’s a lot of music in this film, you’re catching on. The story is fantastical in many ways. To think this story could happen in real life is utterly preposterous, but it somehow works in the theater. And it’s the music you can thank for most of that. In many ways, the music is the lead character. The score is written by somebody…who is very talented…has a bright future in front of them…and will remain nameless because I’m too tired to look it up right now. But really, the music makes the film worth going to. I enjoyed the film—I smiled and felt warm and fuzzy inside by the end—but I really HEART the music. And I definitely HEART Jonathan Rhys Meyers. There’s something about his adorable Irish brogue and piercing blue eyes that makes you want to say “Buy me a pint and you can look at me forever.”
So should you take the time to see “August Rush”? I vote yes. Perhaps it doesn’t need to be at the very top of your movie list, but its still worth the price of the ticket. Be prepared to toss $15 more on top of that, because you’ll be inspired to Rush out (there it is again!) and buy the soundtrack immediately afterward.
And really, if you can get Jonathan Rhys Meyers to buy me a pint of…anything, really—please let me know.

3 comments:
I enjoyed the movie, immensely. However, I couldn’t help but notice the uncanny resemblance that Freddie Highmore has to the amazing Clay Aiken.
I loved it equally. I also left you a tribute on my blog. Check it out.
That's true. I also noticed the Claiken thing. Weird...
Post a Comment