Wednesday, September 1, 2010

First Impressions

I asked my 8th graders to write a 1-page response paper on their first few days of school. I suggested they could share their thoughts on any of their classes or they could just focus on my class and even on me as their teacher. I emphasized that I would never grade their response papers on the content, but rather on their ability to think and write about their thoughts.

That being said--a few gems:

"Your hair is like the Mad Hatter's in Alice in Wonderland."



"...and make sure you get a boyfriend by the end of the year so maybe you would give us less work."



"You should go out with Mr. Howard [student teacher from last year]."



"By the way my thirty seven and thirty nine year old aunts are still single so there is still hope for you."

Rather than be offended, these make me really, really happy. I think our future year together looks very bright, indeed.

3 comments:

*Aliese* said...

Oh, kids sure are funny.

Emily Richards said...

They must think you're pretty darn sexy if they think you should go out with Derek! bahah!!

Charisse Baxter said...

Well, they are certainly expressing themselves well! And in positive, proactive ways! (Do you think that second kid saw "Clueless"?)

 
Header PS Brush by pinkonhead.com