Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Rock, Paper, Scissors, Lizard, Spock!

One of the most frustrating aspects of the autumn season in Utah--besides its relatively short stay in our fair state (1? Maybe 2 days?)--is the difficulty I have in acclimating my own body temperature to the constant change of rising and falling temperature. The nights can be quite chilly, but the afternoons can be roasting. Often when I slip under the covers its too warm for the covers...but then I'll awake at 2:00 am just freezing. What to do?! Recently I've taken to just covering my feet. Seems if the bottom appendages are warm, the rest of me follow suit.

Last night I hit up the annual Back to School BBQ Stake FHE event. As usual, its not an actual BBQ because cooking hamburgers or steaks or even 'tube steaks' for several hundred people would be a herculean task. Instead, subs were on the menu last night. Can't complain about free food really, but it was no Quiznos toasted goodness, you know? On top of that, it got dark pretty fast so in order to actually see anyone you had to be inside the pavilion...along with the 200+ other people trying to do the same thing. It was loud. And when my friend, Alisha, challenged me to give my number out to somebody in "the next 15 minutes"...I quickly realized the folly of such an endeavor. You couldn't even hear yourself! For the record, I at least made an effort. I met a couple people and even engaged in an actual conversation with "Tim of the --th Ward"...but I quickly wrapped that convo up after he brought up politics and said he was a "far right Republican." Eegads! So no phone numbers distributed, but I'm sure I'll be blessed for my efforts.

I recently became involved in something of a "Blog argument" via the comments section on an acquaintance's Blog. It doesn't matter the topic, but I was proud of myself for keeping my cool and not getting angrily hateful with any of my comments. I ended my involvement with this particular post saying, "We shall have to agree to disagree." Isn't that what's great about America? We can all have our own opinions and know that not everybody has the same viewpoint. I almost laughed out loud, then, when an earlier arguer responded to my statement with, "No, I don't think we will." What? What does that even mean? He will not agree to disagree with me? But...he obviously does disagree with me. So if he disagrees about agreeing with me...wouldn't logic then suggest he agrees with me? I'm totally confused. And totally amused. And even more convinced that Blog arguments are entirely futile.

General Conference weekend is almost upon us again and I'm just so pleased! I love listening to the words of the prophets and the counsel from our leaders. I love that it means I have a Sunday without any meetings. I love that it means hanging out with the family. And this year I really love that it means chocolate chip cookies and rootbeer floats. I haven't had a treat since August 26th, (see explanation here) and this Saturday will be my first "cheat" day in the way of our biannual Conference treats. YES! I am SO excited. I love cookies.

The Stake Musical Revue is opening (can we use regular theater lingo for a glorified roadshow?) in less than a month and I'm trying not to freak out. Its been a really fun experience and even the giant dance number I somehow got roped in to is proving to be a good time. Let me know if you're interested in coming to see the show and I'll get you the info. As an admitted theater snob, I cannot encourage attendance at a community theater production such as this in good conscience. However, I do guarantee you will laugh. Even if that's you laughing at us rather than because of us, we'll take what we can get.

Sheldon Quote of the Day: "You know, I've given the matter some thought, and I think I'd be willing to be a house pet to a race of super-intelligent aliens."

2 comments:

Arianne said...

I'm amused by the blog argument (especially his response). Sounds like he just likes to disagree with everything...

Meredith said...

So I assume you did watch that clip of Sheldon explaining the expansion of Rock, Paper, Scissors? Isn't it just FABULOUS?! Colby and I watched last nights episode and were in fits of laughter by the end.

 
Header PS Brush by pinkonhead.com