Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Speaking of Zac Efron...

Once again, its the start of a new school year. This year is going to be crazy busy with a myriad of responsibilities beyond the classroom teaching itself. I am still serving as Relief Society president in my ward. I am working on my National Board certification. I have a student teacher first semester. I am rehearsing for our stake musical revue. I am co-facilitating our district's Social Studies book club. And in the midst of all that I am trying to maintain some semblance of sanity...and a life, if possible. Good Luck to me.

This past weekend I ran the Top of Utah half marathon with my little sister. Abby is THE BOMB.com and we ran without any major stops for 2 hours, 12 minutes, and (in my case) 40 seconds to finish with a fabulous time...if I do say so myself. The racecourse is quite delightful and the scenery through Logan Canyon--splendid. I had a great time and look forward to another half marathon in the near future. Plus, I finally got to try Angie's tots. Kayla was right--they're delish.

I think one of the things I'll miss most about my summer break is spending so much time with my nephew. He is...fabulous. He's adorable and incredibly entertaining, and always in the mood to eat. Seriously. He is such a mooch its hilarious. But you know--I love that about him too.

As of August 26th, I have officially gone off treats for the school year. That means no cookies, brownies, ice cream, pie, candy...and the list goes on and on. Almost everyone who has heard of my daring diet plan has declared that I have to give myself a cheat day or I'll never survive. First, no I don't. I'm definitely an "All or Nothing" kind of person. If I give myself a cheat day once a week I'll just give up altogether and very quickly at that. Secondly, I'm not entirely insane. I have given leave for treats on specific days of the year. For example, I will be indulging in rootbeer floats and chocolate chip cookies with the family during General Conference weekend. And I refuse to let Thanksgiving go by without pie. I'm pretty sure I'll be okay. The whole purpose of this experiment is to improve my self-discipline, and to see some true SHRINKAGE around my middle.

Yesterday my Visiting Teacher, Lisa, came to see me at school. Isn't she great?! She brought along Caryn--her other visiting teachee--and lunch. Hero O' The Day! I'm so grateful for delightful friends who can surprise you on a Monday afternoon and make the rest of the day bearable.

Last week I had the great pleasure of taking in a free premiere showing of the film, "Adam." Hands down--one of my favorite movies EVER. Really. Its a delightfully tender, off-beat romantic comedy and I would recommend it to anyone. Hugh Dancy is fantastic and I spent most of the movie trying to decide if I wanted to laugh, cry, or...well, cry; the debate over sad tears vs. happy tears was insane. The movie is awesome and if you want to go see it soon, give me a call and I'll do my best to make it. I can't wait to see it again!



I am excited for autumn to really start. I want to wear sweaters and not get nasty sweaty when I get into my car in the afternoon. I'd like the fall TV season to start (GLEE!), and I'd like to crave a drive up the canyon and apple cider. Of course, winter follows shortly after the autumn but we have to know the bitter to appreciate the sweet, right?

On a final random note, I saw two ducks crossing the road this morning. The only thing better than that sight, was seeing the giant grin on every driver's face who was stopped in their respective lanes as we waited for the ducks to move along. Fabulous.

4 comments:

*Aliese* said...

I'm definitely impressed with your no treats goal. I don't think I could do it...I'm afraid to try! And I, too, am very excited for GLEE to start. I've watched the pilot too many times to count and it's killin' me. :)

Anna said...

Umm..so I'm way excited to see that movie. I like romantic comedies with a twist.

Also, let me no how your no treats thing goes. I think I may be an all or nothing girl. This whole moderation thing ends up in me just going back to bad habits. Ugh.

Greg and Nancy said...

If I'd known you were up here I would have cheered you at the finish line! Congrats on completing it!

Erin said...

Remember when you saw the duck get hit by the car?

 
Header PS Brush by pinkonhead.com