Sunday, July 19, 2009

Final Recap

I've finally returned from my fabulous New York vacation and taken a few days to get readjusted to the normal day-to-day routine. There's something comforting in the day-to-day, but something incredibly depressing in it too. Oh well. Such is life. Now that I am back and as normal as possible, here's a quick recap of some overall highlights of the trip...including pictures where possible.

Governor's Island--a quick ferry ride away from Manhattan--was a delightful place for a picnic. It was sunny and delicious. And afforded some amazing views of Manhattan right across the water. Our picnic included the yummy hummus from Trader Joes and a variety of fresh fruits and veggies. SO delightful.Sunday we attended the Third Ward--a singles branch that meets on the East Side of Manhattan. I love that you can go pretty much anywhere and find the Church. And that its "the same"--for all intents and purposes. We got to church just in time for the opening prayer, despite getting on an express subway and {me} running into a glass panel as we exited the subway stop. Whoops!

Central Park strolling is...fantastic. We wandered the park on Sunday and a bit on Monday as well. I don't think any of the pics turned out all that well, so I'm not posting any.

Alice's Tea Cup is a lovely spot for tasty tea, scones and other delights. Mariah and I actually stumbled upon the upper Westside location last summer and I'm so glad we returned this year. We splurged and went for "The Tower"--basically a high tea with tea, scones, tarts and small sandwiches. It was SO much food but it was also SO good. Yes, I know the picture is a little awkward, but just...deal and be happy about the tower of delicious food set before me.
I shopped at H&M for the first time. I purchased a fire engine red pencil skirt. A personal view of its amazing properties could very well be headed in your direction soon. Exciting, no?

Max Brenner--Chocolate by the Bald Man!--is delicious. Its luscious. Its more chocolatey goodness than you'd expect to be legal. Mariah inhaled her peanut butter crepe. I inhaled my S'mores Sundae and considering it's size I should probably be embarrassed by that. But instead of wasting any precious moments on awkward embarrassment, I decided to spend more time feeling entirely blissful over the affair. SO delicious.Before I left I mentioned to someone (Was it you?) that it would be cool to see a celebrity whilst in New York. All week...nothing. Then on Tuesday, only hours before I left, we walked by Pierce Brosnan filming a movie in Brooklyn. Seriously. THE Pierce Brosnan. I thought it was pretty cool.The trip was really about visiting Mariah, but eating good food was a definite benefit too. I've already mentioned most of the delicious places--here or in previous posts--but we also got in a return visit to S'mac (a discovery from last summer), the Hummus Kitchen, and Grimaldi's. The last one is reputed to be the best pizza in the city, and it was really good. Plus, we had lunch with the Peschke's--always a good time!
To sum it up, the trip was totally fly. I love New York and can't wait to go back!

3 comments:

Elisa said...

Glad you had a fun trip!

I sure hope Pierce wasn't singing. That was the WORST thing about Mamma Mia. For sure.

Kristin said...

I'm so jealous! I want to go to NY someday. I'm glad you had fun. Hey, in that pic of Pierce Brosnan, it looks like that kid from the sixth sense sitting next to him.

Miss B said...

every time i see pictures of you and Mariah having NY adventures I am terribly jealous and wish I was there. But I am so happy to have found your blog. Oh, and i am also reading the Glass Castle.

 
Header PS Brush by pinkonhead.com