Friday, July 10, 2009

Dancing in Brooklyn

I got in to New York early yesterday morning. I hate the Red Eye, but I still felt worse for the teenage boy stuck in the middle seat. I could at least lean againt the window, though I didn't have a pillow because Jetblue charges you $7 for a pillow. Seriously?! Boo. I would happily give up my personal TV that didn't work half the time in order to have a soft place to lay my head...without paying extra. *sigh*

I maneuvered the subway with ease and class (I like to think) and ended up getting to Carroll Gardens WAY before Mariah. Luckily a nice man gave me a free newspaper and I finally learned how to do a Sudoku puzzle. Thanks New York!

Mariah and I spent the day in Brooklyn with her nannying charge, Alexander who is just ADORABLE. And very drooly. We had lunch at Ted & Honey's. We walked across the Brooklyn Bridge (YAY!) and visited Trader Joe's. For dinner we split a pot of tea, Welsh Rarebit, and the most sinfully delicious bread pudding EVER at Sweet Melissa's. I love Sweet Melissa's not only for the cake but also their willingness to let me show up 30 minutes after we'd exited the restaurant to request the use of their facilities in a true EMERGENCY moment. You see, after dinner we went to a local park in Brooklyn and danced the night away with some fabulous blues singer who was putting on a totally hoppin' show. But then I had to pee. Thanks Sweet Melissa's!!

And then we came to Mariah's lovely apartment in the Heights. We watched the Tivo'd episodes of So You Think You Can Dance, and ate hummus and chocolate Twizzlers, and bemoaned the fact that Kupono is a poor man's {last season} Mark, and reveled in our shared love of Glee (its been renewed for a second season already! YAY!!) and finally went to bed late late late. And I fell asleep to the lovely sounds of the city and thought, "This is what vacation is all about."

3 comments:

*Aliese* said...

Oh, I do love Glee. I'm definitely looking forward to September 16.

Greg D said...

You, of all people, just barely learned how to do sudoku?! I'm shocked.

Tara said...

My lack of Sudoku skills were simply for a lack of trying. Now that I've tried...its rather fun, no?

 
Header PS Brush by pinkonhead.com