Saturday, July 11, 2009

And now I'm gushing

Sometimes I wonder if its silly to visit the same place over and over again. I always think I've done all I'd want to do in a city, and then I come to New York again and the city proves me wrong all over again. Today, in particular, was amazing. Everything today was new and everything today was worth gushing about. Over and over again...

We started off trying to win tickets to the matinee of Wicked and met some delightful Canadians attempting the same thing. No dice on the tickets, but the friends from Toronto gave us directions to the nearest Crumbs bakery where I partook of the most amazing cupcake--ever. It was the Artie Lang cupcake--yellow sponge cake with chocolate frosting inside and covered with a chocolate ganache and sprinkles. YUMMMMMMM!!! It might not be the breakfast a nutritionist would prescribe but it was certainly delish.

May I gush for a moment about Lincoln Center and South Pacific? We saw this incredible production in one of the best theaters I've ever been in and I loved every minute of it. The man playing Emile had one of the greatest voices I've ever heard and only Lt. Cable's character had anything lacking. He reminded us of a mix between a young Kronk and Buzz Lightyear, all wrapped up in a soap opera star's persona. "Sexy lieutenant!"

I think I should also gush about the sushi we had for dinner. The place is called Tenzan--located on the Upper Westside. And the sushi was fatty {in a totally good way} and delicious and the miso soup was super good too. *sigh* I haven't had sushi in so long and this was the perfect way to break that inadvertent fast.

After you eat sushi, the most obvious thing to do next is to eat frozen yogurt and New York has the most perfect frozen yogurt shop on the planet. I may be gushing, but 16 Handles makes me so so so happy! You take a bowl. You fill it up with your choice of frozen yogurt (choices range from your basic vanilla to cookies 'n cream and pistachio) and then add as many toppings as you'd like. The price is based on weight so make it as small or big as you'd like!! I want to go back right now...

And since we were in the area, we decides to stop at Westville--an East Village restaurant with A-Mazing sides. Yes, this did make 3 different eating establishments in about 3 hours. Welcome to New York. We split a platter of four sides: sweet potato fries, pesto mashed potatoes, roasted beets and parmesan artichoke hearts. Tasty food makes me so Happy!

Our final stop for the night was this brilliant music hall called Rockwood. We saw 3 sets and all 3 were fabulous. There's no cover charge--you just have to buy a few drinks and who doesn't love that? The last band, in particular, was delightful. Their piano player was cracking me up--moving between despondency when he wasn't playing and hardcore "into it" moments when he did get to sing and play. SO fun.

And the rain held off until we headed home.

Happy Saturday night in New York!

1 comments:

RSP said...

Tyson and I also had an Artie Lange for breakfast only a few days ago- kindred spirits for sure.

 
Header PS Brush by pinkonhead.com