I hate Mormon Fiction. I can say that honestly because I've tried it. I've read it. And after partaking of a good number of novels I can conclude it is terrible.
My only explanation is that the authors who write this stuff must be suffering from some sort of complex about their own writing abilities. The sad thing is a lot of these books do have potential: A local politician's son is kidnapped. The Native American tracker hired to help find him in the wilderness is followed by a hapless TV reporter looking for the story. Thus begins an unlikely romance and a tale of adventure.
That's about as good as a lot of books out there today. But this author didn't think so. They couldn't bear the idea of shopping their book around to normal publishing houses like Random House or Schuster Bros. Nope. The only company willing to buy their book would probably be Bookcraft, so you'd better make that tracker a Returned Missionary, the boy a local primary kid, and the TV reporter his Primary teacher. Bada bing, bada boom! Classic Mormon fiction.
GAG ME WITH A FORK.
Mormon Cinema is just as bad. Its either so campy and dumb you feel your IQ dropping rapidly as the movie plays (i.e. The R.M.) or its an okay movie and then the director's/writer's self-doubt comes flying in out of no where and throws some random religion in your face ruining everything (i.e. Brigham City).
I don't think Mormon Fiction or Mormon Cinema is doing anything to help Mormons move into the mainstream. In fact, I'd venture to guess it has the exact opposite effect. How can I convince my "friends of other faiths" that we're really normal when Piccadilly Cowboy and Singles Ward are still available to rent?
Now, before DB Rewards Club members threaten to beat me to death with their Illustrated Family Hymn Books, let me add this: I do enjoy some Mormon literature. I like Mormon literature that doesn't pretend to be something else. I do enjoy some Mormon cinema. I like Mormon films that actually try to tell a good story. I guess I just enjoy quality art and entertainment, and the vast majority of Mormon artists/authors/filmmakers/etc. don't know what that looks like.
Agree or Disagree, but do yourself a favor and expand your horizons. Venture outside the realm of Halestorm Entertainment, Bookcraft, and Deseret Book (i.e. God's Preferred Bookstore). And Piccadilly Cowboy? Seriously. Don't waste your time.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

5 comments:
I've honestly never heard of Piccadilly Cowboy; apparently I'm missing out! I will admit I enjoy a good Halestorm film to pass monotonous hours on occasion. However, I'm not 100% comfortable with sharing these films with people not of our faith. Oh, and I'm really not a fan of LDS literature either! I can handle a silly, campy movie here and there (and even enjoy them), but I have to draw the line at the books.
Amen sister! And I suppose I should consider myself lucky that I have never heard of Piccadilly Cowboy. Sounds...weird.
I really enjoy the Best 2 Years too.
Though i must say that in my past I have consumed far too many Jack Weyland novels...don't think less of me.
It's true--the best stories are just well told stories. It's interesting because there are some Mormon authors I love who write wonderful fiction--but it isn't Mormon fiction because the characters are never overtly Mormon. However, you can tell (if you know the doctrines) that the author is LDS because of viewpoints of the characters or the point of the story. Have you read Fablehaven? LOVE that series.
Of all the Mormon fiction, I have trouble with the LDS "chick-lit" - a couple of family members LOVE Anita Stansfield, but I gave up on her files o' trauma long ago. Bleh.
A couple of other movies, though - I've always had much love and respect for "Saints and Soldiers", and I'm actually interested in getting a copy of "Forever Strong" when it comes out on DVD. (Also, I do own a copy of the LDS "Pride and Prejudice"... but Will Darcy is sooooo cute! And British!)
Post a Comment