Saturday, August 27, 2011

The Adventures of Pocket Sky, Episode 1.2

Its been a couple weeks since we returned, so I should really finish filling my one or two readers in about the rest of our adventures in Washington D.C.. And it really was quite the adventure! Fun times were had, good treats were consumed, and awesome things were seen. We were in the nation's capital from Sunday to Thursday. Check below for a few of the highlights from the last 2-3 days (completely out of order, btw):

Our flight home left DC on Thursday afternoon, so P.S. and I hit up The Mall via the Little Red Trolley early Thursday morning--trying to get in as much as possible! Here he is with the map, checking out the path for the day's journeyings.

We loved the FDR Memorial. I've been such a fan of Eleanor Roosevelt for so many years, I thought it proper for P.S. to get a picture with her. Here's a zoomed in view--

When the trolley let us out at the Lincoln Memorial stop, we literally ran to the Korean War Monument (LOVED), and then ran up the stairs of the Lincoln Memorial like Rocky to see it and get the picture below. Thanks to the kind Asian tourist who took numerous shots to make sure I got one I liked. Let it be noted, my favorite was the FIRST one so I guess she went above and beyond somewhat needlessly. Still--nice!!

After the Lincoln Memorial, we dashed away to the Vietnam War Memorial. I was bound and determined to spend more time here and I did. It was, in a word, MOVING. Its so powerful and kind of overwhelming. No picture here--didn't seem appropriate to pull out my little pocket friend and be all touristy here.


On Tuesday we caught the Circulator Bus (Only a dollar per ride! And no, they don't give transfers when it only costs A DOLLAR, Pam!!) to Georgetown. Its a grand area of town and it would be cool to live there if I could afford a $4 million dollar condo!


We could afford to spend 20 minutes waiting in line to get into Georgetown Cupcake. YUM! I had the Happy Birthday and Red Velvet. Yummy yummy!! I would have shared with Pocket Sky, but...I didn't. {He's not a real person, people. He can't eat a cupcake. Really.}


On Tuesday evening we had dinner at a great little French restaurant. I happen to know that P.S. adores crepes and all things French--here he is practically SALIVATING! over the yummy crepes I had for dinner.

And we both enjoyed the complimentary basket of French bread the server brought to our table. Bread. Butter. YUM.

And don't worry, we walked a lot of those carbs off that night--heading toward the Capitol building on the East end of The Mall. I was a hot, sweaty mess by the time we got there but P.S. was Cool as a Cucumber. He's great/lucky that way.


A couple more highlights for you--on Tuesday afternoon we went to the Smithsonian American History Museum and yours truly had numerous History Nerd-out moments. Here's just one I loved--the lunch counter where the Greensboro sit-ins began. THE lunch counter!!! Amazing.

No pics, but I also enjoyed Union Station (and Larry's Cookies!), the French bakery, the workout facilities at the Marriott, the amazingly huge Jefferson Memorial (I love Mr. Jefferson...), and the Red Velvet Cupcakery. Washington D.C. was/is an amazing place and I NEED to go back soon for a real, straight-up vacation to see so many more things I missed. And I think next time Pocket Sky will stay back to work and study, and the Real Sky can come along. I kind of adore him, after all.

0 comments:

 
Header PS Brush by pinkonhead.com