Saturday, August 7, 2010

Spreadin' the News

Just got back. Happy to report that New York City is still there. Not only is it still there, its hotter and humider (no, that's not a word. Until NOW!) than ever. I was melting 10 of the 14 days I was in the city, and it was pretty gross. We moved forward, though, and good times were still had. Recognizing that you, the reader, probably don't want a play-by-play of a fourteen-day trip, let's just hit the highlights, shall we?

1. Friends: I adore Mariah and her fiancee, Ryan. So much fun to chat and hang out with them. I also got to spend an afternoon with Jake G. He showed me around the Wall Street/Trinity Church area--and we had yummy Afghan food for lunch! And then Gregory B. came into town for the last week and I had another chum to join in NYC playtime. Good stuff!

2. Broadway: We saw Tony Award Winner, Douglas Hodge in the matinee of La Cage Aux Folles. Brilliant! He was wonderful and the show was a riot. I loved so much about it!! "If he loved me, he'd vacuum!" So great. That night we had box seats to a major Tony winner--Billy Elliot. I can't say enough how much I loved this show! Great music, amazing acting and dancing, wonderful story--maybe the perfect show. Love love love.

3. Breakfast: I had at least two A-Mazing breakfasts in the city. Community Food & Juice provided one of the best things I have ever eaten in a 7-Grain Waffle served with Lemon/Raspberry Cream sauce. I wanted to weep with joy when I was eating it, and that's not exaggerating by much. The next week we ventured to Greenwich for Creme Brulee French Toast at a place called Jane. Yum, Yum, and some more YUM.

4. Coney Island: I love this place. Shelling out $8 for the crazy wild roller coaster, Cyclone, was just the beginning of the happiness. A hotdog from Nathan's and a jaunt on the boardwalk were also wonderful. But nothing tops the pure delicious glee I found in watching the Side Show. A Contortionist, the Seal Boy, a well-endowed Sword swallower/Flame-eater, and of course--our host--a Carnie who literally hammered a nail into his own head. WOWZA!! Love love love.

5. Bakeries: Any followers of my Facebook status updates should be aware that I made a major effort to visit a plethora of bakeries in Manhattan. First prize goes to Levain on 74th and Amsterdam for the most luscious cookie EVER. Second prize goes to Amy's Bread for the best carrot cake I have ever eaten in my life. Also a good sticky bun. And butter cookie. Third prize to Jacques Torres for another brilliant chocolate-chip cookie. Honorable Mentions go to Crumbs (because you gotta love a huge Crumbs cupcake!!), Fat Witch Bakery, Magnolia (good brownie!!), and Bombolini. The final entry providing not only tasty Italian donuts, but tasty Italian eye candy as well. I should note--no pictures from the bakeries. I always intended to, but the goodies seemed to disappear into my belly too fast for me to remember the need for a photo shoot. Oh well!

6. Sights o' the City: I've done a lot of the "touristy" things before, but still managed to take in some awesome spots in the Big Apple. I especially loved the American Museum of Natural History (though their charge for special exhibits is ridiculous) and the big model blue whale. There were some great exhibits at the Met. And I really loved walking along Highline Park with a yummy coconut-almond ice cream shake from the Chelsea Markets.

So...there was a lot more that happened in my 14-day adventure to New York City, and a lot more amazing foods I got to eat. Heck, I didn't really say anything here about the Gilder Lehrman seminar at Columbia University that got me out to the city in the first place!! If you want to hear more about adventures, Reconstruction seminars, and/or great NYC food, feel free to ask*. I Love New York!!

*Obviously, I like to talk--especially about food.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I'm so glad you had such a fabulous time! I'm completely jealous! Except for the humidity part... :)

painty (Melinda) said...

How fun! New York is such a cool place. I can't believe you saw Greg B. I drove through the town he moved to in middle school and was wondering what happened to him just a few weeks ago.

Lindsey said...

I'm going next month so I may take all the recommendations you can send my way :)

 
Header PS Brush by pinkonhead.com