Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Tools were Involved

And no, I don't mean tools like the contestants on "The Bachelorette." I mean like...screwdrivers and tape measures and stuff. What I'm trying to get at here is simply this: Today was devoted to Home Improvement around my little pad. I even went to a hardware store--by myself. And it was AWESOME.

Let's back up--being a homeowner has given me opportunity to tackle all sorts of tasks I've never done before. And every time I do something on my own--like turn on the gas and light the water heater--I feel a great sense of empowerment. Today was chock full of those moments! In fact...I toted my camera around the house with me to show off my handy work.

First--and this wasn't really "handy" home improvement but I'm so happy I have to share--I finally found my perfect Salt & Pepper shakers. I'm so excited about this its embarrassing. But when you've been searching for affordable--yet perfect--salt & pepper shakers for four months...you've got to celebrate the find. Thank you Ross!!Okay, on to the "handy" stuff. I vacuumed out my furnace and A/C unit and changed the air filter. This required the use of a tape measure to figure out what size of filter I needed, and then a trip to Lowe's to track down the 14 x 20 x 1 filter. It fits SO much better than the cheap-o crap one that was in there before. This particular brand of filter even came with a Reminder Sticker, so I'll remember to perform this routine maintenance every 3 months. Good call. Here's my happy--and clean--unit now. At my Housewarming party, Erin gave me a fabulous home decor gift that's been sitting on my counter ever since. My trip to Lowe's also provided the necessary hardware to hang the sign above my sink. A tape measure was involved--to make sure the sign was perfectly centered over my ugly window coverings (that's a job for another day)--as well as HAMMERING. Really. With all that in mind--Isn't it awesome!!?My bathroom door has been opening too far and slowly creating a dent in the wall opposite. This is...not good. The helpful man at Lowe's pointed me in the direction of the Hinge Pin Door Stops. Just what I needed! There was hammering, unexpected grease, and one or two missteps, but I got the piece installed on my door--making the walls safe from doorknob dents for one more day!!! There are 5 smoke detectors in my little pad. I purchased the 9V batteries today at Sam's Club and systematically climbed on and off a stool to change every single one. This wasn't actually that hard. The hard part was making myself push the button to test each one. Man those suckers are PIERCING!! But I guess that's the point, right?The final task was a little more involved, so I enlisted the help of my best Tool Girl, Catie, to help me out. The key rack was the very first piece of "decor" I purchased for my house...and its been sitting unused in the office/nursery for a while now. I bought the screws at Lowe's, but we needed Catie's know-how and her dad's Stud Finder (So many jokes...so little time...) to make it happen. But happen it did! And here's the final product with a big Thank You shout out to Catie!

All in all, these are small tasks and small additions. But I love my little house, and I love taking care of it and all its little details.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

I am so proud of you my favorite homeowner! You are slowly transforming the place into your own. I am so happy to have taken part in these little events that make a house a home. Way to go!

Elisa said...

Glad you found your salt and pepper shakers. I saw some cute ones at Disneyland and thought of your search.

Meredith said...

Nice work sis! Maybe you can come over and help me. I still feel like I haven't gotten the whole "homeowner" thing down yet and I've been here for 2 1/2 years!

Steve Weller said...

That's great that you are a homeowner. I must have missed that part, but a belated congratulations is in order. And having the nerve to do some handywork around the house is always something to celebrate! The nice thing for me about owning my own house is that I finally get to do a mural in my kids' playroom. I only have time every once in a while to work on it, so it's a long time coming, but I think it's turning out nicely. And you can paint your bedroom and livingroom whatever color you want. Yes! Good luck with this school year!

 
Header PS Brush by pinkonhead.com