Wednesday, June 16, 2010

California = #1

To celebrate another year as SURVIVORS of the public education system, Greg and I planned a road trip to California for the first week of June. My fab friend, Caryn, came along as well and I couldn't have been happier about that! The road trip proved not only to be full of grand and happy memories, but a wonderful way to cross #1 Take a Roadtrip off my 27 in 27 list.

We left on Sunday afternoon and I pulled my car back into my complex about 1:00 am on Wednesday morning. So the trip was, first and foremost, FAST. But I did mention fabulous, right? I had so much fun!

The drive to California was relatively uneventful. Caryn had provided us each a new/weird treat--chili pepper covered pineapple which we consumed somewhere in Nevada, I think. Eating that (and a whole lot of other stuff) and singing our way through 3 volumes of Glee music took up most of the time. Arriving in California we did have a few speedbumps (metaphorical for the most part). We got a wee bit lost trying to find our hostess to procure the house key (Greg is GREAT at U-turns, though), Blueberry got a wee bit "smudged" when one driver--who will remain nameless--hit a pole, but all in all--we made it!!

Monday was spent basking in the beauty and magic of Disneyland Resort. We rode most everything we wanted to, and a few favorites more than once. We ate lots of luscious Disney treats--churros, ice cream, brownies, muffins, Mint Juleps (Disney First!). Really, you can't rightly capture in a Blog the joy of seeing your best friend get drenched on Grizzly River Run, or the thrill of riding an insanely fast bobsled down the Matterhorn at night...wedged between somebody's legs. Just know--it was awesome. Approximately 15 Hours of Awesome, in fact. We ended the day how we started it--at the bakery. Greg loaded up on a brownie and Diet Coke to guarantee he'd stay awake for the drive back to our borrowed "pad." Not a usual meal for midnight, but there you go.

Tuesday we finally awoke...somewhere between 8 and 9, I believe. After some quick "readying" we headed for the Santa Monica Pier. Beach Time!! Unfortunately, the overcast skies didn't seem to want to burn off too quickly. So we checked out stuff on the pier--including a Trapeze School?--and then wandered the beach for a couple hours. We saw somebody who was either "famous" enough to be readying for a photo shoot or a stranger who was just so full of herself she brought personal stylists along to the beach. Caryn and I discussed the HOT factor of clean cut surfers. And we built "sandcastles" with our feet. They met their demise by incoming waves, though Greg's hung on long enough to appear like a lonely Sand Mushroom as we walked away.

And we did walk away. We walked back to the car, changed back into travel wear, and headed home. Well, I should say that after one more quick California stop--to try my first ever In'n'Out Burger--we headed home.

Overall, it was a great California road trip with some truly hilarious and wonderful people. Fast. Fabulous. And a mere $75 extra at the car dealership to buff out the paint markings (ala The Pole) on the side of Blueberry.

Happy Summer!!!

2 comments:

Brooke said...

How fun! I have to agree roadtrips are great, but roadtrips with Caryn are fabulous!

Unknown said...

You wore your "RUN" shirt! Yay! I'm so glad you had fun and that all went well with only a few minor setbacks. Rock on!

 
Header PS Brush by pinkonhead.com