School is OUT for the summer!! 180 days down, 0 to go. Wahooo!!!! The celebrations will go on for at least a month and a half, and then I'll have to start focusing on going back to school. But let's not put such a damper on things at this point.
No, the point of this is to remind you all of a little goal I set for myself back in August--No Treats for the School Year. There were some pre-designated treat days and even treat weekends, and I'm not going to lie and pretend I didn't justify a few other occasions that came up (i.e. the night I was literally surrounded by brownies, eclairs and sorbet at a wedding reception and decided that spending a Saturday night serving a friend was treat-worthy). But for the most part...I did it. Really. I turned down cookies, donuts, candy bars, birthday cake, cupcakes, ice cream and more for over 9 months. Whoa.
I bring this up not to gloat, per say. I imagine most people aren't impressed, anyway, but more likely find it bewildering. Because...who does that?! I sit here as the one who accomplished it and just think, "Holy cow! I did that?! Why? Whoa!!" Seriously.
I know the why--I'm insane, plus I had a great desire to slim down the waistline. And there were positive outcomes in that as well as other areas. For example, this experience taught me that I have amazing willpower in big, strict things. Its the small, normal things that I need to work on. Namely, having moderation in all things--including treats.
I'm going to have to adjust to life with treats again. I'm fairly confident the alien feeling of cookie consumption will aid in the new goal of Treat Moderation--the next step to becoming a somewhat normal, well-adjusted human being. I'm also fairly confident the alien feeling will disappear all too rapidly. I'm just hoping it doesn't disappear along with the box of Girl Scout Thin Mints in my cupboard.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

3 comments:
I am so impressed you did this. The willpower! (I cannot stand behind it ideologically. But I am impressed.)
Good job! A treat in moderation you should try is the Dreyer's Butterfinger ice cream. I love it! I didn't think I would, but it is seriously so good.
I'm so proud of you! You inspire me. Look at that will power! I don't think I can ever go without sweets in the same manner as you, however, you have inspired me to do better. On that note, I think I'll go eat a (just one) cookie. :)
Post a Comment