Monday, June 21, 2010

The Problem of Summer

I love summer. Summer is popsicles, sleeping in and staying up late, reading fluff books, going to the movies, and basically doing whatever you want. Just reading that list makes me happy!! As it is, however, my summer hasn't entirely felt like that. Oh sure I've had my quick vacations to California, and yes I can sleep in when I want to. But this summer there's a boat load of work I still find myself having to do.

First I've got this Gilder Lehrman conference coming up in July. By the time I get on that plane to go to New York City, I must have completed three nonfiction history books. One of which is over 600 pages in length. Interesting, but definitely not the fluffy, beach reads I would hope to crack open in the summer.

Second, I'm working on a project for the Teaching With Primary Sources grant. I have to put together Primary Resource Sets for individual Indicators in the State Core. In fact, I am signed up to complete 18 of these sets. Yes, I get paid, but wow...I'm at "1 down, 17 to go" at this point. *sigh*

Third, I would really like to get up and going on my Curriculum plans for my night school classes next year. Life in the 2010-2011 school year will be MUCHO simpler if that gets done before September.

But going back to The Problem of Summer. The real problem is that IDEA of summer. I want to play! But my blasted logical mind is struggling to let me really enjoy the play time I take when there are all these other RESPONSIBLE things I should be doing. Blast.

I think the universe is trying to make me work too. When I asked my two-year old nephew last Sunday if we could "hang out sometime this week"--as long as it was okay with his mom, of course--she responded that he was pretty busy with playdates and other such things. Yeah, that's right. My two-year old nephew has a busier social calendar than me. Thank goodness I have those Resource Sets to keep me company, right?

2 comments:

*Aliese* said...

I must say, I admire your curricular ambitions!

Elisa said...

I'm back in town and available for playing if you're nephew is just too busy.

 
Header PS Brush by pinkonhead.com