Friday, May 1, 2009

O-leeee! Ole! Ole! O-leeee!

Last weekend I went to my first ever Major League Soccer Game--Real Salt Lake vs. New England Revolution. It was awesome. I am hooked. I want to go to another game ASAP. Anyone in?

Sitting in the stands with friends and thousands of other fans...I quickly concluded that soccer is awesome. And it is a much better spectator sport than basketball. I compared it to basketball only because the soccer game was the same night as a Jazz Game, and a number of friends abandoned Rio Tinto Stadium to go watch the bball game. I think leaving was a mistake (especially since the Jazz lost and the REAL scored 6 goals!) and so, as a public service, I present the Top 5 Reasons Why Soccer is Better Than Basketball...from a spectator's perspective.

1. The Clock: The time clock in a soccer game NEVER stops. Isn't that awesome?! So a 45 minute half is really going to take about...45 minutes. Other sports should consider this. Its brilliant.

2. Substitutions: According to my little bro, each team in a soccer game can only make 3 substitutions per game. That means the majority of players have to play the ENTIRE game! 90 minutes! This gives me new respect for the players. That is hardcore--running up and down a giant field for an hour and a half? Brilliant.

3. The Fans: Soccer Fans are crazy. And by crazy I mean "Totally Wicked Awesome." The fans on the south end of the stadium beat on a drum--or on multiple drums--NONSTOP. And that is not an exaggeration. It was fantastic and made for a great time in the stands.

4. The Athletes: This is entirely personal, but I think soccer players are more interesting/attractive/awesome than basketball players. Their uniforms (which Sam tells me are known as 'kits') are sweet. In America, soccer players are likely to have fascinating names like Larentowicz and Movsisyan. That's cool. And they're so fit! Refer back to their hardcore nature discussed in #2...

5. GOAL! The number one reason I prefer soccer to basketball--the scoring. Scoring a goal in a soccer game can take the entire game. You might only see one or two (or none) in an entire game. Therefore, as a fan, you get to go CRAAAAZZYY when they do score. Its a minutes-long celebration! We sing! We dance! We cheer! Fabulous.

So go see a soccer game. Its brilliant.

8 comments:

*Aliese* said...

I agree with ALL of your reasons!

Arianne said...

Good times!

gnupate said...

Great reasons to love a great game. Hope you continue going to/loving games at Rio Tinto.

You might also want to look into the local PDL sides (Ogden and BYU). The quality isn't quite up to MLS, but the action is good, and the crowds are even more intimate.

Trav said...

Great post!

Meredith said...

I'll definitely have to check out an RSL game...maybe we could hit one together!

Charisse Baxter said...

Yes, please! I want to go! How long is the season, anyway?

RSP said...

Tyson is a HUGE soccer fan. Thus, I am included. We have attended numerous Red Bulls games and have watched may Liverpool games in bars all over the country. I am glad that you made the Clock #1, because it just makes sense.

Tyson said...

Wow, I can't believe I didn't find this earlier. I only regret that I didn't find soccer earlier in life. PLEASE, do yourself the favor of becoming a Liverpool fan. there is nothing like following a european soccer club. I haven't missed a game all year. In fact, this weekend, I was in New York and went to a Liverpool bar that was standing room only at 8:30 in the morning, texting Balduf and my soccer friends who were on the west coast gathered at an apartment at 5:30 for the game. I normally wouldn't recommend going to bars, but soccer bars for soccer games are the next best thing to being there. I could go on for hours about how american sports fans are really missing out on a great sport. Here is a little googling to get you started on your Liverpool love affair.

Steven Gerrard - the captian, total man candy and considered by some as the best player in the world

Fernando Torres - Also man candy and considered by some the best striker in the world. He scores the most goals.

Xabi Alonso - My personal favorite player. Pronounced "Shabby" Still trying to talk raschell into using the name.

I'll stop now. but seriously, google them. You won't be sorry. OK, i'll really stop now.

 
Header PS Brush by pinkonhead.com