Thursday, August 14, 2008

Paging Dr. House

I’ve been home from my extended East Coast vacation for almost a week now. And since arriving back in the dry land of Utah, I’ve had a headache almost every day. Like clockwork, the afternoon rolls around and so does my headache. Its not a throbbing pain—“with every beat of my heart my head feels like it wants to explode.” I guess I’m lucky in that. Rather, my headaches feel like the front of my head is in a vice. So much better, right?

Anyway, I’ve been trying to investigate possible causes of the headaches in order to combat them. I’m sort of on the clock with this—school starts soon and tossing a headache into my already shaky afternoons could spell disaster.

There’s always a possibility these could be tension headaches--in which case I need a massage--or remnants of a long-forgotten sinus infection--in which case I need a doctor. If this was an episode of House, somebody would suggest "lupus" as a possible diagnosis at some point. But I digress...

My best guess at this point is some degree of dehydration. Its bloody hot in Utah and very dry. Coming from the humid East could have tossed off my internal balance or something. Anyway, I started testing this theory today by drinking large quantities of water. I’ve consumed 5 bottles of water, another 16 oz. or so at the restaurant for lunch, and a glass of milk.

I’ve gone to the bathroom 7 times.

I still got a headache today, but I don’t know that it was quite as bad as the day before. And it definitely dissipated faster this evening. Let’s hope this is a sign of success. I figure I'll keep drinking in this manner as long as I can handle it. Even if it doesn't help the headaches, its sure to help my overall health in the long run. Positive thinking at its best.

2 comments:

Arianne said...

Hmmm. It's no good that you're having headaches. Sometimes it happens to me though--every now and then I'll get a headache every day for a week or so...then they eventually go away.
I hope the liquid intake helps!

RSP said...

I had the same problem not too long ago, but I am talking migraine strength headaches...every day. I think mine had something to do with rheumatology, but I now have been taking cold medicine to help and it has. Something in the drug helps, I guess. Also, at Bath and Body Works they have this little bottle of aromatherapy called "Headache Relief". I am not a big believer in that stuff but I thought the headaches were bad enough to waste $10 and give it a try. Surprisingly, it didn't cure them, but it definitely helped.

I am no doctor, but I am often in need of a Dr House. So, I thought I would at least tell you what worked for me. Good luck and feel better!

 
Header PS Brush by pinkonhead.com