I love what we're learning. I love sitting for hours in historical rooms discussing important documents and debating different issues related to them. I love doing that with a Harvard Professor leading the discussion. I love that I have intelligent things to say. I love visiting historical places like Monticello and the Rotunda at UVA. I love seeing an original Dunlap Broadside and having a minor inner freakout because OH MY GOSH IT'S AN ORIGINAL DUNLAP BROADSIDE!!!
But the week also begins to wear on you. The first day or so, everyone’s new and we're excited about everything. You’re just getting to know the other participants and trying to remember names. But by Day 3, you know most everyone—including those you’d rather not know any better. I'm tired of riding the bus all over because buses make me ill. I’m also really getting sick of cafeteria food--especially at dinner where nothing ever looks that edible so I end up eating beans and rice. UVA is a lot like South America, I guess.
Please don’t take my complaints as my overriding attitude towards my week in Virginia. That would be far from the truth. I really am loving it. The complaints are more like minor irritations. And really, there’s so much to enjoy beyond all of that! I find things to keep me amused.
For Example...
- This morning I showered and dressed and headed to the cafeteria for breakfast. I met up with a couple other Conference participants, and had a leisurely breakfast (scrambled eggs, hashbrowns, fruit) before heading back to the dorm to gather my materials for the day. It was only then that I realized I wasn’t wearing a bra. Whoops!
- During lunch, a man rode by on his scooter. The man was wearing a purple robe and a white motorcycle helmet. Safety first…even for wizards.
- The Harvard Prof. working with us this week is BRILLIANT. Besides his obvious intelligence, he has awesome socks. He apparently enjoys snazzy lavender socks. Day 2 of the Professor Sock Watch proved productive--lavender, light blue, and navy checks. Yesterday they were solid lavender. I’m hopeful tomorrow will involve a paisley pattern, because who doesn’t love paisley?

3 comments:
I get the status message now...what is it with people in Virginia and the color purple? The purple robe, the lavender socks...some sort of royalty thing I suppose.
Okay...the going without a bra kills me. How did you not realize? ha.
How fun that you got to go to that conference.
I remember one day in high school i forgot to wear a bra and when i realized I was soooo embarrassed and walked around very self conscious for the rest of the day -- thank heavens I was wearing a baggy tshirt
Post a Comment